DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alpine stereo sound quality? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146482)

rockyram21 07-01-2013 03:31 PM

Alpine stereo sound quality?

New to the forum so this my first post.Hoping to do various mods over time such as a CAI,Bedrug,Backflip G2,possibly a 6" lift.Just bought a mint 2009 Ram with the Alpine system in it and am very unhappy with the sound quality.Just wondering if anyone has found a way to get better sound without major mods,ie,swapping out door speakers,changing the sub,etc.Cheers

Graygoose 07-01-2013 03:33 PM

Actually most havent been too pleased, sadly maybe add a PAC and add a new sub/amp setup.

Designflaw 07-01-2013 03:35 PM

Speakers are the easiest fastest improvement - Wlcome to the Forum

12sport 07-01-2013 07:59 PM

I went with the Kicker/Mopar upgrades:

77KICK42 gets you the two 6x9 woofers for the front doors and the 3 2-way mids for the dash.

What I found odd was the suggested rear speaker pack that replaced the 6x9's in the rear doors with the 3-way 6x9s while doing nothing about the rear headliner tweeters..... Enter the 77KICK28AB: This gets you a set of 6x9 woofers for the rear doors (identical to the ones in the front) AND a set of 1" dome tweeters for the headliner. I DID have to do some trimming on the mounting plates for the tweeters to fit in the headliner - this was done in under a minute with tin snips.

Without upgrading the amplifier, I found they were a little tinny at higher volumes so I bought the 77KICK45 12-Channel Mopar/Kicker amp.

Can't complain about sound quality now! Still debating what to do as far as the sub.

rockyram21 07-02-2013 01:18 AM

Thanks for moving the post.Didn't realize there was a dedicated stereo section.

Graygoose 07-02-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12sport (Post 1139700)
I went with the Kicker/Mopar upgrades:

77KICK42 gets you the two 6x9 woofers for the front doors and the 3 2-way mids for the dash.

What I found odd was the suggested rear speaker pack that replaced the 6x9's in the rear doors with the 3-way 6x9s while doing nothing about the rear headliner tweeters..... Enter the 77KICK28AB: This gets you a set of 6x9 woofers for the rear doors (identical to the ones in the front) AND a set of 1" dome tweeters for the headliner. I DID have to do some trimming on the mounting plates for the tweeters to fit in the headliner - this was done in under a minute with tin snips.

Without upgrading the amplifier, I found they were a little tinny at higher volumes so I bought the 77KICK45 12-Channel Mopar/Kicker amp.

Can't complain about sound quality now! Still debating what to do as far as the sub.

Great feedback, glad you like it!

DarthRam 07-02-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12sport (Post 1139700)
I bought the 77KICK45 12-Channel Mopar/Kicker amp.

Was this a direct swap out?

kkreit01 07-02-2013 03:56 PM

In order to significantly improve the sound, you will have to spend a lot, or scrap everything. It's not easy to upgrade. All the speakers are crossed at the OE Amp. There is not a full-range signal in front. You can easily replace the dash speakers. This will help clean up the highs. The front doors are a major pain, and will take an amp and processing to improve a lot. The rear doors are drop-in full-range. I've spent a lot of time on mine in the past few weeks, and I'm still far from happy.

autokraftgt 07-03-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Designflaw (Post 1139531)
Speakers are the easiest fastest improvement - Wlcome to the Forum

^^^This!^^^
You can achieve a nice improvement by replacing the doors and dash speakers for not much money. The factory speakers are worthless and lose their composure very early on....I honestly do not know why Alpine would put their name on them because they're not good.

That may satisfy your needs, it may not....but that's the first step for most.

Welcome to the forum(z):smileup:

ONOutdoorsman 07-04-2013 01:28 PM

Replace the dash speakers with some nice 2ohm 2ways, remove the centre speaker and add a sub/amp/box for the rear. You can do this for a few hundred dollars and it will improve the quality of sound. If you still don't like it then you can take it further but still use the new equipment you just purchased.