DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Strange Noise....? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146584)

SupermanWV 07-02-2013 12:37 PM

Strange Noise....?

I bought my truck brand new (2013 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 4x4 5.7L with 3.92 and Limited Slip Diff). I've never had a limited slip axle before so this may be normal.....

When I'm going straight and accelerating kind of hard/hard, I hear a brief chattering sound (doesn't really sound like metal to metal) but it only lasts a second or so, and then it stops (also stops if I let off the accelerator). But if I keep accelerating it will happen again but only for a second. So its not a noise that happens constantly, but it only does it if I'm in gear and moving forward regardless of speed, if I accelerate and drop into lower gear for passing it happens. Does not happen if in Park and press accelerator or if in nuetral and press accelerator.

Is this just the sound of the limited slip kicking in while accelerating?

Or is it a problem. It does usually happen if taking off from stop and hitting accelerator to get going quickly, or if I'm moving slowly and punch throttle to take off quicker... but it is more towards the end of accelerating when the gear is about to change (automatic tranny).

I have never been turning in these situations...always going straight.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Clark (SupermanWV)

Asur 07-02-2013 01:36 PM

The chatter your hearing is probably the anti-slip kicking in, it used the ABS system to drag on the brakes of the wheel that is loosing grip, that chatter is the master pumping that particular brake assembly. JMO but think this is all your experiencing.

huntergreen 07-02-2013 01:42 PM

azur seems to hve answered your question, my question would be, what is causing the anti spin to activate so often this time of year?

Asur 07-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1140322)
azur seems to hve answered your question, my question would be, what is causing the anti spin to activate so often this time of year?

I think that the member is as he so indicated in his OP

" It does usually happen if taking off from stop and hitting accelerator to get going quickly, or if I'm moving slowly and punch throttle to take off quicker.",,

The hemi's got some good power, probably spinning the wheels on take off. Might what to try it on wet pavement to see if it does it more, or a dirt road.

SupermanWV 07-02-2013 04:06 PM

On my way home I tried going fast again to see what happens. Well it did it again. And I remained going fast and the chatter just kept going till I had to slow down. I've never had this happen before in a truck. But I've never had 3.92 gears and a limited slip before.

It kinda makes me nervous.

Clark (SupermanWV)

RedSmart 07-02-2013 04:14 PM

I'd run it by my dealer and have them take a quick look at it, it sure can't hurt any.

Besides if the document it, and you have a problem later you may be covered.

Just an idea.

Asur 07-02-2013 04:14 PM

are you in 4x4 mode? Just asking

SupermanWV 07-02-2013 05:22 PM

Not in 4x4. And even does it with Traction control turned off. The more I listen to it. It may be coming from front to middle of truck. Like maybe the torque controller.

Do they vibrate?

Clark (SupermanWV)

Asur 07-02-2013 05:49 PM

Think you should drop into the dealer and make sure you can reproduce it easy, and don't take "its normal" unless they show you why it does it.

12RamSport1500 07-04-2013 01:18 AM

I have the same sound but only between 1-2 and have the traction control off on a harder acceleration. When I have the traction control on it doesn't do it.