DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Installing headers on a 2012 5.7 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146597)

whiteknight312 07-02-2013 02:39 PM

Installing headers on a 2012 5.7

guys, how hard is it to install some JBA shorties on the 5.7? I crawled under the thing and it appears you can get up in there to get to bolts? I have not really fully looked into it.

Also, those who have put them on yourself, did you use the the locking nuts ive seen on HP TV? look like teardrop washer and a clip to get them from moving. and of course a copper gasket to keep blowout to a min.

thanks for the help! and I want the best coating that will not disappear! been through all that before. the ceramic chrome is what Ill be looking into.

Chris

xtreme 07-02-2013 03:29 PM

I installed BBK headers on my 2012. I used the lock bolts that you describe on the holes that I could. Use factory gaskets. You need to jack your front end as high as you can and put jack stands under the frame, remove wheels and inner fenders. Passenger side was a breeze!! Took less than an hour. Drivers side was a royal pain in the ass. dip stick in the way, steering arm and the starter. After I got it done I swore never again and that I will pay someone next time. But yes you can do it yourself.

whiteknight312 07-03-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme (Post 1140462)
I installed BBK headers on my 2012. I used the lock bolts that you describe on the holes that I could. Use factory gaskets. You need to jack your front end as high as you can and put jack stands under the frame, remove wheels and inner fenders. Passenger side was a breeze!! Took less than an hour. Drivers side was a royal pain in the ass. dip stick in the way, steering arm and the starter. After I got it done I swore never again and that I will pay someone next time. But yes you can do it yourself.

I figured that there had to be something! I noticed pics with all the steering arm there. what about removing the arm at least and mmmm the starter. Id have to examine that. might not get starter back in! I know how it is with bolts and stuff. been there. my nissan titan had to jack up the engine and remove mounts to get to one side. crazy.

thanks. so BBK you got. how are they? lasting coatings?

chris

Grubrunner 07-03-2013 08:28 PM

Yes, the OEM MOPAR Exhaust Manifold Gaskets are the way to go.

Mopar Exhaust Manifold Gasket Part: 53032965AF [DS]
Mopar Exhaust Manifold Gasket Part: 53032966AF [PS]

xtreme 07-03-2013 08:51 PM

It seems everybody here likes the jba. But I'm very happy with the bbk's. t he silver ceramic coating looks just as good as the day I bought them. I couldn't justify spending the money on jba's ecspecially since I will be doing long tubes once there is a reasonable priced set.