DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   1997 Ram Misfire Codes P0300 P0305, P0308 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146625)

Jollux 07-02-2013 09:27 PM

1997 Ram Misfire Codes P0300 P0305, P0308

Im getting the below misfire codes, usually happens when first starting up truck, if engine is already warm and i clear the codes and start it up and drive it again this issue doesnt seem to happen. Truck does run slightly ruff on cold startup but not to the point of it stalling or anything, truck has lost of power, doesnt smoke or leak anything. Codes are below

P0300 - Random Misfire
P0305 - Cylinder 5 Misfire
P0308 - Cylinder 8 Misfire

I have ran fuel injector cleaner through truck - Didnt Help
I have changed spark plugs to Champion with proper gapping, noticed old plugs were all over the place with wrong gappings but didnt notice anything strange with old plugs, oil, white plugs etc etc
I changed distributor cap and rotor, all plugs looked fine when i did this, made sure plugs were put back to the proper terminals. (BTW the digram to do this blows because if you notice cylinder 2 and 7 are straight forward not like the pictures online show where the cap is slightly twisted!!!)
After doing all the above i am still having the same problem! Thought about changing out spart plug wiring but dont think that is the problem.

Noticed today there is vaccum line broken (bottom left of throttle body - looking at it from the front, not sure what this is for or if it could be part of my problem?)

Any other ideas of what i should check or replace. Possibly coil pack?
Please respond with any ideas, thanks in advance

:4-dontknow:

double0ram 07-03-2013 01:09 AM

vacuum leaks can certainly cause those codes. try fixing that and see where it gets you. fyi if you ever run a seafoam treatment, that vacuum line you mentioned being broken is best to feed everything equally.

another thing off the top of my head is 0 sensors... they'll pop that series of codes if they're bad or disconnected.

hope it all works out for ya...

Jollux 07-03-2013 09:34 AM

Thanks I will try this I also found a TSB about rerouting spark plug wires as they could cross arc anyone heard of this before?

Warlock III 07-03-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jollux (Post 1141101)
Thanks I will try this I also found a TSB about rerouting spark plug wires as they could cross arc anyone heard of this before?

Yuuup. I was reading your OP and working my way down to suggest you reroute the wires. Then I got to the part where you found the TSB.

double0ram 07-03-2013 03:00 PM

did you do it on yours drew? I had a solid 250,000 on my 2nd Gen and never had to reroute mine

Warlock III 07-06-2013 04:00 PM

I've never had a problem with the wires on mine Jaron. But I've seen it on a couple where they rub a little and the white powder is a dead give-away.

(P.S. 218,000)

MAD IRISHMAN 07-07-2013 10:22 PM

I did everything on mine from plugs, wires, sensors, both O2's, Distributor, Coil, etc etc, to include the plenum Pan gasket. Turned out being a valve prob. Leak Down test ASAP. I replaced the heads and was good. (But im a new guy. got my info from this Forum) and it worked awesome.

Jollux 07-07-2013 10:31 PM

I fixed my vacuum lines today and started to move the wiring, mainly i moved the coil wire away from the other lines on the left side of the engine, didnt have enough time to do the rest of the wiring. Reset the PCM and went for a test drive, check engine line did not come on for 30 minutes, ran a little better and i still got a p0300 and p0305 code, however the p0308 code is gone. Yes that is the side where i moved the wire, so now i will try the reroute for cylinder 5 wire and see if this helps.

Jollux 07-07-2013 10:33 PM

FYI.... definetly still not running right, forgot to add took it on highway, when i tryed to go faster than 60 mph giving it the extra throttle caused big misfires!!! Could this still be an exhaust issue as welll with a catalytic converter?

MAD IRISHMAN 07-07-2013 10:44 PM

From my experience after replacing the CAT, I was able to fend off the 03-Whatever code while on a highway for a while as long as i was getting on it, As soon as i got off and was at idle, BOOM! I chased this for a year. Did you look down your throttle body yet? See a pool of oil?