DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Intercooler??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146706)

BlackDog 07-03-2013 11:19 PM

Intercooler???

Dont kill me if this turns out to be a stupid question but......can you get an aftermarket intercooler for the 2012 ram 1500 or is that something that comes when you supercharge??? if you can are there any good brands???

SK-Ram 07-03-2013 11:26 PM

Intercoolers are used for forced induction engine, your Ram is na so there is no need for an intercooler.

HemiLonestar 07-04-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 1141675)
Dont kill me if this turns out to be a stupid question but......can you get an aftermarket intercooler for the 2012 ram 1500 or is that something that comes when you supercharge??? if you can are there any good brands???

Quote:

Originally Posted by WPG-RAM (Post 1141683)
Intercoolers are used for forced induction engine, your Ram is na so there is no need for an intercooler.

Gotta read the whole thing...it says "when you supercharge"

Some kits come with them, some don't. There are alot of them out there, do a little research and you'll probably find more than you bargained for.

BlownGP 07-04-2013 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar (Post 1141730)
Gotta read the whole thing...it says "when you supercharge"

Some kits come with them, some don't. There are alot of them out there, do a little research and you'll probably find more than you bargained for.

Umm, I think he answered the question right.

I/C are used with turbo'd and S/Cs. There's a few different kind, but the two most popular is air to air and water to air.

You dont need a I/C for a n/a motor.

brandonjansen 07-04-2013 01:20 PM

Yup, what BlownGP said above ^^^. There's no need for an intercooler if you aren't turbo'd or supercharged.

BlackDog 07-04-2013 09:06 PM

ok so when I supercharge I should get one....if it doesnt come with one

CdnoilRAM 07-04-2013 09:50 PM

Yes, if you go forced induction then you should invest in an intercooler, it's cheap insurance and adds power, a nice combo. I'm a personal fan of air to air over air to water, only because it's a simpler install since it doesn't require a separate coolant system.

Most centrifugal systems come with an intercooler as part of the kit, but if you're just picking up a partial kit like I did then you want to invest in one. I bought mine from Treadstone Performance and they're good quality units without paying ridiculous prices. If you get a roots/twin screw then you don't have any option for an intercooler unless you get one with an internal heat extractor bar, but it's integrated into the unit and not upgradable.