DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146720)

Nck 07-04-2013 03:56 AM

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's time to renew my registration. And my truck won't pass without the muffler. So I have to put one of my old ones back on. I must choose between my super 44 and super 10.
The sound will be different because I didn't have my high flow cat back when I ran a muffler. So everybody's opinion matters here. I want a deep mean growl that the 44 has, but also the loudness of the super 10.
I'm kind of thinking my 44 for the deep tone, but then again it might quiet the truck to much. It might be loud either way with the high flow cat.

maust1 07-04-2013 03:25 PM

Put either one in get it inspected then remove it. Non worries it can be quiet for the day no one will notice.

RedSmart 07-04-2013 03:52 PM

+1 to ^^^

I was going to suggest the same thing.

1 day who is it going to kill? Or in this case, 1 day, how many people's hearing will you save? LOL.....

Nck 07-05-2013 04:23 AM

The thing is, i don't know how to weld, nor do I know anyone that does. So I'll have to pay $70 to put it on and then about 70 to take it off again.

GTyankee 07-05-2013 04:53 AM

use muffler clamps, no welding involved

CdnoilRAM 07-05-2013 08:50 AM

muffler clamps are your friend in this situation. Have a shop cut a section of your exhaust out, expand and notch a piece of pipe to slide in the section and do the same to the muffler ends, then you can install/remove as required. Use exhaust band clamps, not the U-bolt type that can crush the pipe together.

RedSmart 07-05-2013 06:54 PM

Here I go again with another half related and half off topic comment.......I appear to be good at this??

Anyway.........anytime I hear someone say "stuck between a rock and a hard place" (this thread heading) reminds me of a guy that I worked with, that up until a few years ago when I had to finally correct him because he was embarrassing me in front of my clients, would say "stuck between a rock and a HOT PLATE"........yes both equally uncomfortable I'm sure, but just not quite the way the saying goes.

Sadly those of us in the know will now frequently use the term "stuck between a rock and a hot plate" as a laugh, but occasionally I have caught myself saying it in the wrong crowd and have to quickly correct myself and explain the story! LOL......

Okay you can go back to doing what it was you were doing......hopefully you aren't involved in any hot plate horrors?!?

Nck 07-07-2013 06:50 AM

I appreciate all the help and advice guys. I just had the delete pipe welded back on, I will just worry about figuring all this out around next years inspection.
I think though with those exhaust band clamps mentioned above, I could use a straight cherry bomb and that way I won't have to bend any pipe. I will cut out a section of the pipe the length of the cherry bomb, and that way I can remove the muffler as I please. And have my straight pipes when I want to.