DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ported TB (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146724)

Mprimo 07-04-2013 09:51 AM

Ported TB

So I ordered a bullydog tuner last night from DAP (great price right now) and have the full k&n cai. Has anyone bought and had time to test the results of th ported TB? I want to put a leveling kit and bigger tires but want to get all the power and gas mileage stuff worked out first. Also, am I really wasting time on intake work without exhaust work? I kind of like it quiet in the cab.

brandonjansen 07-04-2013 08:03 PM

The Bully Dog tuner is definitely a great choice, you're going to like it! As far as the K&N intake goes.... not the best choice... The K&N is not a true CAI so you end up drawing quite a bit of warm air from the engine compartment. I'd suggest trying to seal up the intake the best you can and add another intake tube into the bottom of your box that goes down behind the front bumper.

Yes you should definitely be doing some exhaust work as well. There's no sense in doing all that work to get air into your engine if it can't get out. If you want to keep it quiet go with a 22" Magnaflow. It will only be slightly louder that stock but will flow much better than the stock muffler.

As far as the TB goes Asur is the only guy with a 4.7 that's running one that I know of. He said it's definitely a mod worth doing. He does have a full thread on the install with a review. If you do a quick search you should be able to find it no problem. Another member just posted a link to another TB for the 4.7 as well (in Asurs thread). I think it's a full 78mm TB rather than a ported one. That one might be worth checking out as well.

Mprimo 07-10-2013 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info. The k&n just came off my 2010 so it was free. What would be the difference in the TB being ported or not? Wonder if one is better.

brandonjansen 07-10-2013 01:55 PM

Okay, fair enough. If it's free why not right? I would definitely recommend sealing up the K&N a little better if you can though and adding the second intake tube. It makes quite a huge difference actually. I did it with my Airaid and during normal driving (IE not being stuck in stand still traffic) my intake temps are rarely more than 10 degrees Fahrenheit over outside air temp.

I don't know too much about the TB's available for these trucks... I just haven't looked in to it yet. I believe the ported one still has the stock butterfly size but the rest of it has been tapered to allow more airflow through a slightly larger opening and smoother design. A TB with a larger butterfly altogether would be a better choice IMO.

Grubrunner 07-10-2013 02:22 PM

Agree with Brandon.

Good contribution as always.

:smileup:

Mprimo 07-14-2013 09:23 AM

Thanks for the info. Have my plan together now. Well almost. Got the bully dog hemi plus, going to get the full 78mm tb but still undecided on the exhaust. Had the 18" magnaflow on my 2010 and the cabin drone was too much at 60mph which is my main speed around here. Once done with the performance on to the lift and tires.

Darkknight3829 07-14-2013 04:53 PM

I have the 78mm TB from moesperformace and i love it so far... i had to rid my TB spacer. (TB spacer doesnt do anything just makes a cool sound) lol .. And i love it so far. Couldnt tell a difference in performance or any track times because i run nitrous on my 4.7. But the way it is designed i would say it is a good investment.

Darkknight3829 07-14-2013 04:54 PM

If you want a loud good tone, Delete your muffler and run a straight pipe through it. And if you want a better tone... hollow out your cats like i did :)

Darkknight3829 07-14-2013 04:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSzCQbg-zcY

Darkknight3829 07-14-2013 04:58 PM

Best tune you can get for performance is probably a tune from HEMIFEVER by Sean Powell... but if you do not need custom tuning I truely believe that Superchips has the best out there.. Ive had a trinity diablo programmer and ran the 93 octane performance tune... Ive had my superchips performance tune and the superchips is a night and day difference over the diablo. I have not had a bully dog but I am pretty confident that it isnt as good as the superchips.. Superchips advertises 64HP gains on their 93 performance tune. I now have diablo again because i needed custom tuning done for my nitrous.