DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Radiator Swap HELP!! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146811)

RamLove 07-05-2013 01:32 PM

Radiator Swap HELP!!

So, my radiator has been leaking lately. Not a lot, but enough to leave a small puddle under my truck after I park it. It has become an irritation because I tried to use Stop-Leak and it worked temporarily (about 2 weeks) then began to leak again. I have a question though:

Why are there two radiators? Is one a transmission oil cooler? I thought that was integrated into the main radiator? If I buy a new radiator, do I need a 12" or 14" trans cooler?

Any help or suggestions would be great!

THanks.

Warlock III 07-06-2013 02:56 PM

If you're not the original owner, chances are that someone changed it before you got it.

They may have installed a radiator for a manual transmission and had nowhere to hook the trans lines.

If that's the case I don't understand the question about replacing the trans cooler. If it's not broken it doesn't need to be fixed. Is there a PS cooler and you're mistaking it for a trans cooler?

RamLove 07-08-2013 07:08 PM

There is the main radiator and then a smaller one that looks to be connected to A/C lines.

Jollux 07-08-2013 07:31 PM

Hmm, If your truck is automatic you have transmission lines that run to the radiator is this what you are talking about? There are separate cores that may make it look like more than one radiator. Can you take a picture, does it look stacked or are they in different areas of the truck?

RamLove 07-09-2013 11:18 PM

Well, it looks to me like the smaller "Radiator" on the front is part of the A/C system. I am buying a new radiator (With trans cooler) tomorrow and swapping them out next weekend.

Warlock III 07-10-2013 10:36 AM

After the explanation, :doh: I'm going to venture a guess that he's talking about the A/C condenser...

If that's what you're referring to then it's part of the A/C system used to condense the gassious state of the refrigerant back into a liquid form, compressed, returned to the system, wash rinse repeat.

Gen1dak 07-10-2013 03:56 PM

Yeah, sounds like a condenser. As a side note, those with performance or heavy-duty towing in mind often install an external smaller transmission cooler, usually in front of the radiator. Do not remove the condenser lines from the condenser when doing the radiator swap. If you need to move the condenser, you can loosen the bolts that hold it in place to gain wiggle room.

RamLove 07-24-2013 11:05 AM

I got it all done this past weekend. Really easy job. Had a lot of fun doing it. There is, in fact, a second tranny cooler behind my condenser.

jabba974 07-25-2013 09:43 PM

My 97 had a secondary trans cooler also...my guess is it was a tow package, or becasue of the 8,800 GVW...some of the aftermarket tranny coolers, such as B&M's are way more efficient then the factory add on...

RamLove 07-26-2013 07:43 PM

It does have a tow package. A really nice one actually.