DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   5.9L Won't start (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146834)

RI99Ram 07-05-2013 08:54 PM

5.9L Won't start

My step-father just gave me a 1999 Ram 2500 with 5.9L and 5 speed manual transmission. Really excited cause I fell in love with this truck when he bought in 2006. Problem is my brother used it for a year (he can kill anything with a motor) and the truck has been sitting in his driveway for a year now.

Issue is the truck won't start. Went through about 14 pages of threads and think I have an idea of where to begin on this issue.

My question is on the cam position sensor. Does it normally give a code if bad? If so, anybody know what code? I have a scanner that will work on the truck. If it don't give a code, than chances are the culprit if fuel pressure checks out and I am getting spark....right?

Is there anything else I should check if fuel and spark check out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

RogerRamJet 07-05-2013 09:28 PM

3 things you need for combustion: spark, fuel and compression. Make sure you have all 3 of those before you pursue anything else. Once you confirm all 3 of those, we'll talk some more. And yes, check for codes too. Unless the battery was dead, the codes should have been stored in the puter.

RI99Ram 07-06-2013 07:54 AM

Thanks! I'm renting a fuel pressure gauge today to check the fuel. Will post my findings tonight.

Warlock III 07-06-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RI99Ram (Post 1143331)
Thanks! I'm renting a fuel pressure gauge today to check the fuel. Will post my findings tonight.

Or you can take about an ounce and put it in the throttle body...

RI99Ram 07-07-2013 07:49 AM

Looks like I will have to go the old fashioned way of checking the fuel system, no gauges available to rent in my area. Didn't get a chance to check it out yesterday, but will get there today for sure. Going to take the before pictures today too (poor thing looks like crap).

sgreen3 07-07-2013 11:03 AM

Im assuming the engine will turn over when you hit the key?... If so does the fuel pump come on when you cycle the key? If so maybe get one of those cheap spark testers from one of the parts stored to make sure you getting spark. Check the easy stuff first fuses, relays, ect... Congrats on the truck, hope you get it goin!

Gen1dak 07-07-2013 12:16 PM

I agree with the fuel dump. Spill a little into the throttle body. If it's firing, it'll stumble to life for a moment even if the fuel pump is dead. If it doesn't at least hiccup, you're not getting fire. I'd replace the distributor pickup coil first. Then crank position sensor. Then, depending on results, the various sensors, etc. The thing is 15 yrs old. Could be any one of a number of things, or a combination of several.

RI99Ram 07-07-2013 08:13 PM

Was able to get a fuel pressure tester today. Zero pressure at the fuel rail and I don't hear the pump cycle on. It does fire and run when you hit it with starter fluid so it has spark. Changed the relay and fuse with no change.

Somebody mentioned a crash sensor in the bumper that shut off the fuel pump. Can these go bad? If so, how do you test them? And is there anything else I should check before pulling the pump out?

Didn't get a chance to take pics, but will post them soon.

RogerRamJet 07-08-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RI99Ram (Post 1144315)
Was able to get a fuel pressure tester today. Zero pressure at the fuel rail and I don't hear the pump cycle on. It does fire and run when you hit it with starter fluid so it has spark. Changed the relay and fuse with no change.

Somebody mentioned a crash sensor in the bumper that shut off the fuel pump. Can these go bad? If so, how do you test them? And is there anything else I should check before pulling the pump out?

Didn't get a chance to take pics, but will post them soon.

See if you can tap in to the hot wire going to the pump and put some voltage to it. You may have to tap in to the ground wire as well. If you can feed 12V straight to the pump, that should tell you if it's the pump or something else.

RI99Ram 07-08-2013 07:56 AM

I'll give that a try this weekend. Most likely it is just wishful thinking that it is not the fuel pump cause I do not look forward to doing it. Doing it will be like a :nutkick: