DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   1994 5.9 wont start, at wits end (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146838)

sinfulrelations 07-05-2013 10:07 PM

1994 5.9 wont start, at wits end

Hello eveyone, having some problems with my ram, not too long ago I started having problems with it starting, it would be intermittant and random, well last week it finally said I'm not starting, so I started with basics, checking for spark and fuel, I have good fuel pressure and no spark, so I went and picked up a new coil from Autozone, still nothing, was reading arijnd and people were taking about the crank position sensor, so I changed that, still no spark/start could it be the camshaft position sensor even though I replaced it less than a year ago?

RogerRamJet 07-06-2013 01:14 AM

If you're not getting spark, and you've put in a new coil, sounds to me like you have an issue with the distributor. Could be a cracked cap, burnt rotor, bad pick up, bad magneto... could be a lot of things. Check to see if you have spark going to the distributor, if you do, then there's your problem. If you don't... yeah, then we have a whole different set of circumstances to figure out.

DRX350 07-06-2013 01:34 AM

Okay, first things first, fuses?

sinfulrelations 07-06-2013 05:19 AM

Checked all fuses and relays, I am getting no spark from the coil, I get +5 volts at the plug going to the coil but the coil won't send out spark

RogerRamJet 07-06-2013 01:38 PM

Going back to my wrenching days, I only worked on Chevy's though *hanging my head in shame* I think we measured voltage to the coil to be around 6. So, I'm thinking 5 is in the ballpark. It is possible, however unlikely, that you got a bad coil. The extreme would be that your puter has done gone to the great circuit board in the sky. But let's not jump all the other steps before we get to that point.

Warlock III 07-06-2013 02:48 PM

I have to side with RRJ on this, AND STICK TO THE BASICS, forget about the fuses. If the coil (5 volts is perfect) is getting power in and not out it COULD be the coil. However, check the plug itself and make sure it's good. Did you check it for ground on the other side? Then I'd move to the coil pick-up.

Check the engine ground to the firewall for corrosion and check the terminals on the battery etc. Never hurts to clean and coat them.

If you want to check the fuses, go ahead. While you're doing that have someone check the air pressure in the tires, and maybe clean the windows.

sinfulrelations 07-06-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warlock III (Post 1143533)
I have to side with RRJ on this, AND STICK TO THE BASICS, forget about the fuses. If the coil (5 volts is perfect) is getting power in and not out it COULD be the coil. However, check the plug itself and make sure it's good. Did you check it for ground on the other side? Then I'd move to the coil pick-up.

Check the engine ground to the firewall for corrosion and check the terminals on the battery etc. Never hurts to clean and coat them.

If you want to check the fuses, go ahead. While you're doing that have someone check the air pressure in the tires, and maybe clean the windows.

i had the coil bench tested and i works, ill go out and check the ground for the coil, iirc the coil should only ground out when it fires right? also i pulled some codes one of them was a (42 asd relay circut problem)

sinfulrelations 07-06-2013 07:04 PM

Just did some checking it seems the pcm isnt grounding out the coil to fire, I checked for countinuity between the coil- wire to the pcm and I have good connection there, on another note it my tach dosent move when I crank the engine,

Warlock III 07-11-2013 04:56 PM

Try running a temporary ground to the coil with a pair of alligator clips. The Tach probably won't register until it starts/runs.

Sorry about the long pause between posts, you got shuffled down the list...

Gen1dak 07-12-2013 02:20 PM

And yes the pickup coil could be bad despite only being a year old. It's becoming an annual event in my 1990 distributor (predecessor to the Magnum's version).