DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Payload cap with air bags (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146849)

RekTek 07-06-2013 01:43 AM

Payload cap with air bags
 
Lately I'm finding myself needing more payload capacity than what the 1500 offers. It's pretty disappointing to see how little can go in before its overloaded. Just an example, I need about a cubic yard of soil and since that'll be 2000-4000lbs there's no way it's going in. I'll need to do 3 long trips. A third of a yard just looks like nothing in the back. It seems strange how little these trucks can carry, espcially if you happen to be towing something or have a few passengers. So the question is: how much weight would you feel comfortable putting in the box with a good set of bags installed? Pics couldn't hurt either:smileup:

h2oman 07-06-2013 02:14 AM

I hear ya but, the max payload is advertised as 1930 lbs. So 2000 to 4000 is well beyond. So, with the Airlift 1000 you should be at close to 2930lbs. I would not push this number as it is only advertised and Ram may not warranty weights that high if something bad should happen.

RekTek 07-07-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oman (Post 1143291)
I hear ya but, the max payload is advertised as 1930 lbs. So 2000 to 4000 is well beyond. So, with the Airlift 1000 you should be at close to 2930lbs. I would not push this number as it is only advertised and Ram may not warranty weights that high if something bad should happen.

Thx for the reply. As simple as it seems I'm confused about what I can carry. Here it says max payload is only 1368lbs......http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/. So basically myself and 4 guys from work and I'm a hundred or 2 from the cap with nothing in the box?? You say 1930lbs and I've heard other numbers from various sources. That's a large gap. Either way i can't get a full cubic meter that's for sure. Maybe half. That seems so strange to me. A full size pickup can only handle half a cubic meter, probably less? Feels like my VW could handle that.

MrPiper 07-07-2013 01:38 PM

Air bags do not increase the payload capacity for your truck. They keep the rear from sagging under the weight and help level the ride when towing, but the payload capacity is what it is for your truck and is not affected by air bags sadly. Says so right in the instructions for the air bag kit.

h2oman 07-07-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPiper (Post 1144047)
Air bags do not increase the payload capacity for your truck. They keep the rear from sagging under the weight and help level the ride when towing, but the payload capacity is what it is for your truck and is not affected by air bags sadly. Says so right in the instructions for the air bag kit.

Technically this is correct. That's why the load capacity number should not be pushed.

Asur 07-07-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPiper (Post 1144047)
Air bags do not increase the payload capacity for your truck. They keep the rear from sagging under the weight and help level the ride when towing, but the payload capacity is what it is for your truck and is not affected by air bags sadly. Says so right in the instructions for the air bag kit.

+1 on this, the truck is made for X payload, adding aftermarket products may help in carrying more payload but the truck is not designed for it and issues may arise from overloading the truck, the extra load may also induce safety issues and kill your trucks warranty. Best bet invest in a trailer that can carry the extra loads and keep your current truck or buy a bigger truck that has the payload capacity of your needs.

highlandchef 07-08-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1144069)
+1 on this, the truck is made for X payload, adding aftermarket products may help in carrying more payload but the truck is not designed for it and issues may arise from overloading the truck, the extra load may also induce safety issues and kill your trucks warranty. Best bet invest in a trailer that can carry the extra loads and keep your current truck or buy a bigger truck that has the payload capacity of your needs.

Couldn't agree more; it's a simple decision. If you only need the extra capacity occasionaly, get a trailer. If you need it frequently get a HD truck.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger