DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   97 Dodge 3500 under water. Can I save it? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146912)

sweetfarms 07-06-2013 11:35 PM

97 Dodge 3500 under water. Can I save it?

I bought the truck new with the Diesel engine and 5 speed. Only 67K miles. To make a long story short, I get stuck on the road going to our river sandbar and could not get it out before the river came up due to a flash flood upstream. Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks, Ken

GTyankee 07-07-2013 12:00 AM

you can rebuild a diesel engine enough times to drive a million miles
as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you

I am not a diesel mechanic, but i am thinking
if your engine was under water, you may have to pull the Head off & check it out for cracks & cleanliness in the cylinders
the fuel system may have to be flushed & the tank emptied & cleaned
injectors will need to be checked out
oil & filter changed

suspension will need to be greased at a minimum
you will need to check out & grease the axle bearings

Gen1dak 07-07-2013 12:28 PM

Plenty of drying time.
Drain and replace all lube in driveline (including rear axle) parts and engine.
Fuel system will need a complete purging. DO NOT spin engine over until you are certain there is no water in the cylinders. If you do and have water it'll blow the head off or destroy the rods, pistons, and crank, possibly kick a rod out the side of the block.

Asur 07-07-2013 01:41 PM

How high did the water hit the truck, was is submerged? or half way? how long ago was this and has anything been done to the truck since then?.

scrappy 07-07-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetfarms (Post 1143813)
I bought the truck new with the Diesel engine and 5 speed. Only 67K miles. To make a long story short, I get stuck on the road going to our river sandbar and could not get it out before the river came up due to a flash flood upstream. Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks, Ken

Was it running when it was submerged? sounds like not but have to ask. also how deep?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 1143827)
you can rebuild a diesel engine enough times to drive a million miles
as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you

I am not a diesel mechanic, but i am thinking
if your engine was under water, you may have to pull the Head off & check it out for cracks & cleanliness in the cylinders
the fuel system may have to be flushed & the tank emptied & cleaned
injectors will need to be checked out
oil & filter changed

suspension will need to be greased at a minimum
you will need to check out & grease the axle bearings

correct if RUNNING, if not just get all the water out, change fluids, and go
the injection system will not pick up water if not running and also the head is also fine, no need to mess with that.

sweetfarms 07-07-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1144071)
How high did the water hit the truck, was is submerged? or half way? how long ago was this and has anything been done to the truck since then?.

Got over the cab yesterday and will continue to be under water until the river goes down. Probably 3-4 more days. Was not running. Ken

RPM666 07-07-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetfarms (Post 1144097)
Got over the cab yesterday and will continue to be under water until the river goes down. Probably 3-4 more days. Was not running. Ken

Wow that's crazy. Please take pictures while the water is slowly receding - this has to be documented!

I'm sure you'll have your hands full with the electrical systems and a very powerful wet\dry shopvac as well.

Astartes 07-07-2013 03:18 PM

I suggest getting a 3.0l v6 eco diesel in a few months heh.

huntergreen 07-07-2013 05:39 PM

that sucks, hopefully you can salvage the engine, rebuild ect, then find a nice clean 97 truck as close to yours as possible that needs an engine. imho, you will be dealing with "gremlins" caused by being under water for the rest of the trucks life.

Asur 07-07-2013 06:45 PM

Everything in the interior will be trash, 5 days underwater will kill anything electrical, on top of that its not like the battery was pulled before it went under, yes you can save the engine, but anything attached to it will be a lost cause, if your insured , get some money for it and go buy a nice dry one, keep this one for spare parts, whatever you can salvage. JMO but when the river dies down and you see whats piled up inside the truck and everywhere else you will not want to hold on to that truck. Raging river vs truck, Mother nature always wins, again JMO.