DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   got bored with cold air intake (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146928)

09nitetrain 07-07-2013 11:09 AM

got bored with cold air intake

so i was cleaning my garage and found some header wrap from either my mustang days and or i used on my other harley thats long gone. but thats beside the point. i decided to take my ram for a ride using my dsp. i watch my ect. ait. and amb temp. on a 95 degree out coolant at 201 deg. my air temp was about 150 cruising around and would raise to 160 sitting in traffic. i went home and wrap pretty much the whole intake and double wrapped the part that goes over the engine. mind you my filter is down next to the lower rad hose so it gets the cold air coming under the truck up the fender wheel. well after wrapping the next day took for a ride. air temp out side 97 degrees coolant 202, driving around i was seeing air temp going into the engine around 119 cruising around. and sitting in traffic would climb up to 135 but once moving it would drop pretty quick, must get more wrapping and build a heat should. wonder if i can get it even cooler.

JWM59 07-07-2013 11:17 AM

Wonder if you would be willing to wrap my hole truck. Dealer can't seem to figure out why my A/C won't work. :LOL: Ok it's really not that funny.:smiledown:

09nitetrain 07-07-2013 11:26 AM

i've notice on a lot of chrysler vehicals that a bad expansion valve will cause a lot of a/c issues. had one where the guy took it to the dealer they evac and recharge the system. and they said the system was low. well it was all stuck on the high side. i guess there tech did know how to read the gauges. kept tapping the expansion valve with a small ball pin hammer. took out 3.5 pounds in system that called for 2. people dont know what there doing. but i was thinking about getting that home pipe wrap insulation from lowes for hot and cold water lines and doing the could/suction side of my a/c system and some how wrapping my accumilater too to see if i can get my a/c colder in my truck. miss the days of r12 in my old chevy truck

JWM59 07-07-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09nitetrain (Post 1144006)
i've notice on a lot of chrysler vehicals that a bad expansion valve will cause a lot of a/c issues. had one where the guy took it to the dealer they evac and recharge the system. and they said the system was low. well it was all stuck on the high side. i guess there tech did know how to read the gauges. kept tapping the expansion valve with a small ball pin hammer. took out 3.5 pounds in system that called for 2. people dont know what there doing. but i was thinking about getting that home pipe wrap insulation from lowes for hot and cold water lines and doing the could/suction side of my a/c system and some how wrapping my accumilater too to see if i can get my a/c colder in my truck. miss the days of r12 in my old chevy truck

I started a thread and I named it, Need tech Input. I think my problem is an electrical related thing and now that everything runs on electronics it really keeps them scratching their heads. But you are so right I haven't had a vehicle in a long time that impressed me with nice chilly A/C.

09nitetrain 07-07-2013 01:08 PM

i've been getting a lot of problematic cars threw my shop where im picking my brain where no other garage or the local dealer ship want to deal with. but im a conquest to get my a/c colder in my truck

browndawg 07-08-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09nitetrain (Post 1143996)
so i was cleaning my garage and found some header wrap from either my mustang days and or i used on my other harley thats long gone. but thats beside the point. i decided to take my ram for a ride using my dsp. i watch my ect. ait. and amb temp. on a 95 degree out coolant at 201 deg. my air temp was about 150 cruising around and would raise to 160 sitting in traffic. i went home and wrap pretty much the whole intake and double wrapped the part that goes over the engine. mind you my filter is down next to the lower rad hose so it gets the cold air coming under the truck up the fender wheel. well after wrapping the next day took for a ride. air temp out side 97 degrees coolant 202, driving around i was seeing air temp going into the engine around 119 cruising around. and sitting in traffic would climb up to 135 but once moving it would drop pretty quick, must get more wrapping and build a heat should. wonder if i can get it even cooler.

come on man pics or it did not happen. also if ur gonna go to all that trouble why not just fab up a box to hold some dry ice. now that would be ghetto fabulous LMFAO:LOL:

02325 07-08-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browndawg (Post 1144980)
come on man pics or it did not happen. also if ur gonna go to all that trouble why not just fab up a box to hold some dry ice. now that would be ghetto fabulous LMFAO:LOL:

talking abut dry ice. I did my a friend that drag raced and he stuffed his airbox and put bags of it on his intake. It was a 96 Z28 camaro with a LT1. It made him run slightly faster with it.

IN for pics.

09nitetrain 07-08-2013 10:20 PM

ill post pics this weekend when i go out and take measurements to make my light bar

browndawg 07-10-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02325 (Post 1145062)
talking abut dry ice. I did my a friend that drag raced and he stuffed his airbox and put bags of it on his intake. It was a 96 Z28 camaro with a LT1. It made him run slightly faster with it.

IN for pics.

PERFECT!!!!! my first experience with ghetto modding was in auto shop in high school, one guy turned his round air cleaner cover (u know how they used to be and metal) upside down. and it made a fantastic sound probably not pulling much cold air but it sounded cooler than shit, when u punched the go pedal.