DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   TC or TB (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=146987)

Gecko 07-08-2013 12:50 AM

TC or TB

Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been on here (haven't had any money since my exhaust and tune :hah:) But I cant stay away for long and now I want to do more! I cant decide what I want to do though. I'm torn between a new 87mm Throttle Body and a new Torque Converter. On one hand I know with my LT headers that an 87mm TB would be the right TB to get and it is cheaper. Bu,t I just got my truck tuned when I got my exhaust done and I don't want to get it tuned again because I have a new TB.

On the other hand I would love some better take off from a stand still and would love to get a TC with a higher stall than stock. I want to start taking my truck to the track to see what it can really do. I know the TC is more expensive than a TB so I'm not really sure which route to go.

Any thoughts?

Buellrider 07-08-2013 03:24 AM

Gears are an option....

JCummings 07-08-2013 09:20 AM

Gecko, I am looking to do the same with my ram and ill tell you that I wish I would have gotten the TC because I barely noticed the throttle body. I have heard very good results out of everyone that went with the TC.

TBILLIOT 07-08-2013 09:25 AM

Tc or gears would be the biggest gain

HemiLonestar 07-08-2013 02:38 PM

Gears and TC. Turns into a different animal even without major engine mods.

ORT 07-08-2013 03:03 PM

Easy choice, tc will hands down give you much more noticeable results. It will cost you more but it will be well worth it. The tb is nice but you will not get anywhere near as noticeable of results as the tc will.

BlackRamHemi 07-08-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORT (Post 1144840)
Easy choice, tc will hands down give you much more noticeable results. It will cost you more but it will be well worth it. The tb is nice but you will not get anywhere near as noticeable of results as the tc will.

X2!

I dont know why anyone would even mention a gear swap without knowing what gears the OP already has.
Or why he should break his somewhat limited budget for well over $2k to do a full gear swap on a 4x4 with two diffs.
I'd love a set of 4.10's and a rear locker but it would have cost me almost as much as my Ripp supercharger
...and I got into the 13's without either on 3.55's

Gecko 07-08-2013 11:23 PM

I have 3.92's with LSD. So going to 4.10's I don't think will be a big difference from what I have. Atleast that's what I have heard. As for a TC, which one should I go with? I saw the other thread talking about TC but I don't know which one I should look into. From what I have researched, I think I'm looking at about $500 for a TC and then $500 give or take for the install? I have no plans on doing a TC install myself :LOL:

ORT 07-08-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gecko (Post 1145269)
I have 3.92's with LSD. So going to 4.10's I don't think will be a big difference from what I have. Atleast that's what I have heard. As for a TC, which one should I go with? I saw the other thread talking about TC but I don't know which one I should look into. From what I have researched, I think I'm looking at about $500 for a TC and then $500 give or take for the install? I have no plans on doing a TC install myself :LOL:

Email Andre at edge, tell him your mods and your plans for your truck and he will set you up witha converter which will meet your needs. They makea great product.

Oh, and doing it yourself is not fun without a lift, trust me.

drp6982 07-09-2013 12:13 AM

Ported Throttle Bodies are a waste of money unless you stroke or go aggressive on a high lift cam....

A converter is by far the way to go. I have had about 7 different TCs in my charger I race and the best advice I could give you is call Greg @ FTI and have him built you one.....

Shaved .3 off my times vs all the others..... Also hit consist Personal best 60fts too....