DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Warranty Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Modifying and maintaining warranty? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147107)

Warthog Fixer 07-09-2013 03:51 PM

Modifying and maintaining warranty?

I bought a Ram 1500 last week, my first Chrysler product and beyond a reasonable doubt the best vehicle I've ever personally owned. As such I ponied up for the extended Chrysler warranty. Naturally I’d like to do some light “upgrade” work, however I DO NOT want to jeopardize the warranty!

However I’m hearing that there are mods you can make without irritating Chrysler to the point of voiding your warranty. Does Chrysler have a listing somewhere of approved vendors/mods that can be made? I’m guessing that if I were to use MOPAR parts installed by my local dealer there wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Who would I talk to about these kinds of questions?

Graygoose 07-09-2013 04:53 PM

Honestly, talk to your Service Manager. Since thats the guy whom will report the mods you do, such as headers, tuner, etc. If its a lift,lowering, etc he may be ok with, some, they have to report.

huntergreen 07-13-2013 10:29 PM

chips pretty much void the warranty. some say some brands do not leace a foot print in the ecm, but all techs have told me they do. a lift , depending on high you go, does put a bit of strain on some front end components. your service manager may be ok with mods, but then you are tied to that dealer. if you take a trip and have problems you are screwed.

Kooker 07-15-2013 09:51 PM

I put a 2" GF rear drop on my Ram. Would that void anything?

Graygoose 07-16-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kooker (Post 1150902)
I put a 2" GF rear drop on my Ram. Would that void anything?

I hope not, I did too...surely that wouldnt do anything to warranty, its just two springs and shocks.

Kooker 07-16-2013 12:36 PM

Greygoose, we pretty much have the same truck. The only difference is yours is white and mine is black. Nice looking truck haha

huntergreen 07-23-2013 03:06 AM

it will be up to the service manager if that drob kit voids warranty. if a component fails and they can trace it back to a mod they can try and say warranty voided.

Warthog Fixer 07-24-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1156947)
it will be up to the service manager if that drob kit voids warranty. if a component fails and they can trace it back to a mod they can try and say warranty voided.

I don't think there would be a lot of "try" to it. They just would. Not to say there aren't other factors involved, such as are you related to said service manager, or do you at least have a few beers with him a few times a week... other than that you're gunna be on the shit end of the stick.