DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Flowmaster 40 series (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147120)

jsinker37 07-09-2013 05:29 PM

Flowmaster 40 series

Just ordered a 40 series 3"in dual 2.5" out. Does anyone know what reducers/adaptors are needed to install? I can't find any i.d./o.d. specs on the orginal muffler other than the inlets are 3" and outlets are 2.25". Also what lenght pipe will be needed to make up the difference in size between stock and the flowmaster and what is the best method to hang the new muffler? I took a quick look today and it looks like the inlet is welded, I was kinda hoping that I wouldn't need to break out the sawzall but it looks inevitable. Truck has 29,000 miles and pipes and muffler are rusted, anyone have troubles removing the stock muffler?

Graygoose 07-09-2013 05:35 PM

I believe 3" in, dual 2.25" out, muffler shop can made the adjustment and make reducers.

brandonjansen 07-09-2013 06:00 PM

The front of the stock muffler should be clamped not welded. I would get under there and spray some good penetrating oil all over the clamps and in the lap joints. That should help it free up pretty well.

I believe you'll need about a foot of extra pipe to make up the difference. Can't remember what the exact measurement is off the top of my head though. As Graygoose said any muffler should should be able to figure out the install no problem. I would definitely recommend having the new muffler welded in too. You're just asking for leaks if you only use clamps.

jsinker37 07-10-2013 03:32 PM

I plan to do the install myself. Garage labor tends to be expensive these days. I don't mind a slight headache to save a couple hundred bucks. Just need to figure out the clamp sizes now. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Graygoose 07-10-2013 03:35 PM

3" front, and 2.25 to 2.5" rear

jsinker37 07-11-2013 07:01 PM

Install went well. Never had such an easy time with getting the original pipe and muffler out. Needed approximately 20" of 3" to make up for the muffler length difference. Sounds good... has a nice rumble to it at start up, mildly quiet idle, some roar in 1st and 2nd gear, and quiet while cruising. Not sure what some people have against flowmasters but the response when ya put the pedal down at any speed/rpm is as good as stock. It sounds good when the hemi is pushed too!

Chefalan23 07-12-2013 01:52 AM

I run the 10 series on mine. Sounds nasty. I've tried other "better flowing" brands, but I keep coming back to flowmaster sound.

jutsinger 07-14-2013 09:50 AM

I just put a Flowmaster 40 on my 5.7 Hemi and it sounds great. I agree, I don't know what people are saying about Flowmaster causing lack of performance. The exhaust has a nice little rumble with little cabin noise. I installed K&N Air Intake a few days later..that's when the Flowmasters came alive. After a few weeks the exhaust has gotten much deeper with more rumble. I am very satisfied.

I have read dozens of posts with people stating the straight through mufflers (MagnaFlows) are much better for performance than chambered (Flowmaster)...but yet not a single person could show this with a Dyno or any testing information to back it up.

I found a website that showed the Dyno of 2 identical 5.7 Hemis comparing Flowmaster and Magnaflows..no difference in Horsepower or Torque between the 2 systems....the Flowmaster sounded much better. (I will see if I can find the link). Youtube has several videos showing tests run on both of these systems and shows Flowmaster producing more air flow.

jutsinger 07-14-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefalan23 (Post 1148096)
I run the 10 series on mine. Sounds nasty. I've tried other "better flowing" brands, but I keep coming back to flowmaster sound.

I almost went with the series 10. How loud is it? I love loud, but my town doesn't. lol. I am the same as you, I tried other "better flowing" exhaust and they are nothing compared to Flowmaster.. and I have always came back to the Flowmaster 40 series.

boomer 07-14-2013 12:01 PM

i got the super 44 on mine, and love the sound. Flowmaster is definatly the way to go