DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Door Dent / Repair tips (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147270)

orangefan79 07-11-2013 02:15 PM

Door Dent / Repair tips

Upon getting home from the grocery store on the 4th I noticed a nice 2 inch diameter dimple in my driver's side door and a deep scratch about 1 inch long with silver paint from whatever a-hold couldn't control his door. I remember the car I parked next to - convertible silver Mercedes - and asked the store manager to check his surveillance video - unfortunately, I wasn't parked in their field of vision, or at least that's what he told me.

Anyone have any tips for fixing this, other than staking out the parking lot and getting some vigilante justice? I probably wouldn't care as much if it were an older vehicle, but I've had it for less than 3 months. My body shop guy says to do it right would run about $400 between fixing the dent and painting the entire door to keep the paint even. I'm wondering if I manage to pull it out and use touch up paint will it be noticeable?

skytop 07-11-2013 02:35 PM

I have used "Dent Wizard" (or any comparable operation) to have dents removed. Sometimes it is called paintless dent removal. It is all done the same way. By using English 'spoons' and hammers, the metal is slowly worked back to its original shape.

With no exaggeration, I have had mammoth dents removed. A number of years ago, the wind caught a Lincoln's door that was parked next to me out at the beach. The large and heavy Lincoln door punched in the door of my truck. Ouch! For about $100, the dent man TOTALLY removed the dent and made the door skin PERFECT. He worked on it for 45 minutes. I was completely satisfied.

I must state that they can only work on open flat or curved sheet metal. But they cannot recreate belt lines or creases. I highly recommend them. If you cannot find them in the phone book, most any quality dealer will know since they all use them. Just call the dealer or pay them a visit and speak with someone on the inside who is in the know.

orangefan79 07-12-2013 11:58 AM

Thanks - I'll look into that

tguil 07-12-2013 01:22 PM

PDR should be able to take care of the dent unless it is right at the door edge. If the scratch that shows is the other guy's paint the, PDR tech should be able to remove that too. If you have paint missing, it will have to be touched up.

Over the years I have had tons of dents removed using PDR. Twice it involved serious hail damage. A good PDR tech is a "miracle worker". Make sure you find a good one.

nikeman 07-12-2013 03:54 PM

Can those guys take out the small ding like dents or only the larger ones?

huntergreen 07-12-2013 04:57 PM

i thought the dents had to be a bit larger than described by the op.

tguil 07-12-2013 06:13 PM

No problem with small dents.

nikeman 07-12-2013 08:31 PM

Even dents that appear to have been made by a small nail head or something? Those just seem like they are the hardest kind to repair without filling with bondo or something.

tguil 07-13-2013 07:58 AM

Better just have a PDR tech check it out.

logan1080 07-13-2013 01:50 PM

I received a nice door ding on the 2nd day of owning my 2013 ram (last saturday). Small dent and a 1 inch scratch. One body shop said the dent will pull out and the scratch should buff. Another said I have to get the dent pulled then repaint the door. No way in hell are they repainting the door. My truck is maximum steel blue, I have no faith in a body shop matching it perfectly. I will get the dent PDR'd then if any scratch is left after buffing I'll apply touch up paint. should be almost invisible after.