DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Plastidip + Spray paint? brush paint? ...Crayons? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147398)

Thebestestdrummer 07-13-2013 12:00 AM

Plastidip + Spray paint? brush paint? ...Crayons?

Alright, so I'm getting bored with my blacked out look ( not that its bad).

I'm also still categorized as a crazy teen, At least thats the reason i still have to pay for high car insurance..

So I've always wanted to have a car and just spray paint stupid things all over and literally have it be "MY", one of a kind, eye catcher car.

So heres my plan:

Plastidip my entire black truck solid WHITE.

Then have my friends and I paint abstract stuff all over it, random patterns, designs, pictures, literally anything.

i plan on using spray paint, brush paint, crayons( just cause why not) and whatever type of medium I can find.

HERES MY QUESTION:

Will the plastidip still peel off easy when in contact with spray paint? Oil based paint? Water based? Will it start peeling off?

Any added information would be great.

Thank you,
Robbie.

spoiler 07-13-2013 12:39 AM

It's a crazy idea- I like it a lot ... for you :-)
As a science teacher by trade I'd suggest a little experiment.
Get a nice 4' x 4' square of sheet metal from the hardware store. Run some painters tape breaking the square into four quadrants and shoot it with 4 decent coats of plastidip. Now you have your starting canvas. Invite your buddies to bring every kind of paint they have .... plus sharpies and crayons etc. go nuts with the designs. (for some reason I think any girlfriends you can talk into it would have a ton of fun helping you out with this?)
Let it dry for a few days then shoot it with a steady stream of water from the hose... soap it up spray it again and whatever materials hold fast will be part of the plan.... Boom experiment complete.
Take pictures!!!

Thebestestdrummer 07-13-2013 01:05 AM

You sir, are a genius.

spoiler 07-13-2013 01:19 AM

No sir.... if this works ... YOU are the genius!

Have fun.

RogerRamJet 07-13-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer (Post 1148819)

So I've always wanted to have a car and just spray paint stupid things all over and literally have it be "MY", one of a kind, eye catcher car.

So heres my plan:

Then have my friends and I paint abstract stuff all over it, random patterns, designs, pictures, literally anything.

i plan on using spray paint, brush paint, crayons( just cause why not) and whatever type of medium I can find.

HERES MY QUESTION:

Will the plastidip still peel off easy when in contact with spray paint? Oil based paint? Water based? Will it start peeling off?

Thank you,
Robbie.

That is one crazy idea! I'd like to see that when it's done. I'm thinking we'd all like to see it when it's done. Have fun!:smileup:

1stRAM2012 07-13-2013 02:10 AM

theirs a you tube video of clear coat over plasti dip it still peals off but in tiny tiny peices

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkq-qyY9aY

55 seconds in...keep in mind this is also only for a few minutes i dont know what it would do over time...hope it helps

RedSmart 07-13-2013 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer (Post 1148819)
Alright, so I'm getting bored with my blacked out look ( not that its bad).

I'm also still categorized as a crazy teen, At least thats the reason i still have to pay for high car insurance..

So heres my plan:

HERES MY QUESTION:

Thank you,
Robbie.

I think you have to agree that you just answered your own comment about high insurance, but that doesn't mean that I don't like your idea.

I think that this could be a fun way to pick up a few girls too. Never mind having your mates do all the work, get some of the girls to help out.

Just don't let it get too girly or too crude, and nobody will bug you.

And yes, do make sure to post some pics.

Thebestestdrummer 07-13-2013 08:15 AM

I think I'm going to do that little experiment on Sunday. but for the actual truck, it'll have to wait for a little bit. Plastidip gets expensive after a whole truck. haha

gcscott 07-13-2013 09:41 AM

A word of caution. Making your truck look like it is vandalized may attract others to do physical damage and put some dents or break the glass.

But have fun with your idea.

Thebestestdrummer 07-13-2013 05:55 PM

haha i didn't even think of that, but you are definitely right. ill keep an eye out for it! thanks!