DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   Radiator/coolant problem/ AC (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147452)

Cluster F 07-13-2013 08:48 PM

Radiator/coolant problem/ AC

i have a 2007 ram Hemi 1500. I was noticing i would have coolant all over the hood of my truck randomly. I found out i had a pinhole leak at the top of my radiator. I did not have the money to replace it so i let it go for a bit. I would burn off coolant. i could smell it at idle or after i drove walking around my hood . the overflow tank would always be way low and the radiator would be low. i have never had a problem with it overheating though. My question is, is it just in need of new radiator and a flush or something else? kinda nervous about horror stories about head gaskets and stuff but i dont see anything wrong with the oil or leaking anywhere else. i am pretty sure im just smelling the coolant burning off from the hole. when i got my oil changed the guy didnt know i had a leak but saw i was pretty low and said he though it was holding to much pressure or somewthing.

Side note haha. My AC is not cold. not sure if i have a leak or its just low on coolant and can do a recharge. when i run it when its hot out i get a ton of water dripping on the ground i know this is normal when it actually runs colt but it never does.

RogerRamJet 07-14-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cluster F (Post 1149416)
i have a 2007 ram Hemi 1500. I was noticing i would have coolant all over the hood of my truck randomly. I found out i had a pinhole leak at the top of my radiator. I did not have the money to replace it so i let it go for a bit. I would burn off coolant. i could smell it at idle or after i drove walking around my hood . the overflow tank would always be way low and the radiator would be low. i have never had a problem with it overheating though. My question is, is it just in need of new radiator and a flush or something else? kinda nervous about horror stories about head gaskets and stuff but i dont see anything wrong with the oil or leaking anywhere else. i am pretty sure im just smelling the coolant burning off from the hole. when i got my oil changed the guy didnt know i had a leak but saw i was pretty low and said he though it was holding to much pressure or somewthing.

Side note haha. My AC is not cold. not sure if i have a leak or its just low on coolant and can do a recharge. when i run it when its hot out i get a ton of water dripping on the ground i know this is normal when it actually runs colt but it never does.

Yes, you need a new radiator. Don't spend the time or money trying to mickey mouse it. Just get a new one installed.

As far as your A/C not blowing cold, sounds like the condenser is condensing, but your not getting any cold air. I'd have a qualified A/C shop check it out 1) for pressure and 2) for a bad expansion valve. It may be clogged which would cause high pressure but no cold air.

Simple guy 07-25-2013 10:34 PM

save yourself the trouble do not put in stop leak, it's the worse thing ever for a coolant system. I am having to flush the block and replace everything in my cooling system because the prior owner used and continued to used stop leak. I am going to assume he never changed the coolant and ran mostly water after a point with it leaking and him topping it off...

This is the results of his mechanical expertise. This crud is caked to everything, hoses, heater core, radiator. I can't imagine how clogged my radiator is.

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/...ps44518754.jpg