DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   My air conditioning is breathing heavy (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147523)

MEZERR 07-14-2013 03:49 PM

My air conditioning is breathing heavy

2012 RAM. 5.7L. 10,000 miles

When driving (doesn't do it when idling), and with the AC on. Every 10-15 seconds, there's something breathing behind the glove box. It sounds like my dog is breathing heavily when sleeping. Take a deep breath through your noise, everytime you breath in, and that's the sound I"m hearing.

Havn't brought it to dealer yet, as everytime I bring something in, they say "That's normal, and performing as intended"

Ideas?

gysnst2 07-16-2013 01:53 AM

Not sure have you owned since new? Mine was quite till I did the air box mod. To add a cabin filter not it make some noise. Sometime is whistles at me. But that I think it is normal.

Kaiser 07-16-2013 09:41 AM

Sounds like its the recirc door opening and closing. I know I have heard mine do it a few times but not as often as yours. May want to to have your dealer check it out.

MEZERR 07-17-2013 12:30 PM

Ugh. I sent a detailed summary of the noise to one of the dealers here. He called back and said it's probably normal. He thinks it's the A/C cycling on and off. He said it's a sign that the system is working. I said the A/C is supposed to cycle on and off every 10 seconds? for hours? He said yes.

UGH. Why won't dealers even look at their trucks anymore? Why do I always have to prove there's a possible issue, instead of the dealers investigating themselves.

So, nobody hears a deep breathing behind the glove box, with the AC on? It doens't do it when idling, but only when the engine is revving 1800 RPM's and higher

Kaiser 07-17-2013 12:53 PM

Do you have it on just the vents in manual mode or on auto? If you do try setting it to the floor or mix mode or even defrost but make sure and keep the A/C on and see if it still does it. In these modes it should not go into recirc mode so it will tell you if thats making the noise.

MEZERR 07-17-2013 01:57 PM

Tested another scenarios. I turned the A/C off, and turned the defrost on. I could hear the breathing noise still. But with the A/C off, and the vents on, no breathing noise.

So the noise happens when A/C is on, or defrost, and only above 1800 RPMS

maine7777 07-17-2013 09:03 PM

trouble shooting suggestion

The recirculation door is directly behind the glove boxes. By removing them you will be able to see it moving by turning the recirculation on and off. Get it to the open position and check to see if there is are foreign objects in or over the intake grate that is visible with the recirculation door open. I would also make sure that you are getting a good seal when the door is closed as this is the position that I think it is in when on defrost (no recirculation).

MEZERR 07-18-2013 02:00 PM

So, by turning recirculation on and off, I can hear the door moving. It's very quiet. But it's NOT the breathing noise I'm hearing.

I'm pretty sure I hear the expansion valve opening or closing. The problem is, it's happening every 7 seconds, and lasts for 10 seconds or so. The air in the truck has never been FREEZING, but I would say it's almost cool. I'm not sure how cold it's supposed to get. It is 100 F outside

MEZERR 07-18-2013 05:29 PM

One other thing I noticed... at the same time I'm hearing this hissing noise, I can hear the ac compressor kick in. So my AC compressor is starting, stopping, starting, stopping ever 10 seconds........

MEZERR 07-19-2013 09:20 AM

Now my compressor is on 6 seconds, off 6 seconds, on 6 seconds, off 6 seconds. And it's now making a garggling noise.

Goes into dealer tonight, I guarantee you they will say "Well, it's probably because it's hot out"