DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bed Liner (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147640)

GJTyler 07-15-2013 09:05 PM

Bed Liner

I just bought an 04 that has the factory plastic bed liner in it. I heard some crunching when i first walked on it like there were acorns underneath it. I read somewhere that those liners are rust factories. Should I take it off? It also has bushwhacker bed caps.

huntergreen 07-15-2013 11:13 PM

you might want to take it off and see whats under there.

Hermes1 07-16-2013 03:29 PM

If it were me, yes I would take it off, clean the bed out and inspect the paint (likely to be scratched to bare metal in spots) and either have it repainted or have a spray in bed liner done. If you like the idea of a spray in bed liner then that will take care of it. If you prefer to leave it naked or install a Bed Rug, then re-painting first would be worthwhile unless you are lucky enough to get away unscathed.

Astartes 07-16-2013 04:03 PM

I've got the plastic lining. Is it really that bad?

Hermes1 07-16-2013 10:17 PM

The problem with plastic linings is twofold, they do not seal out moisture so moisture gets trapped between the liner and the bed. Secondly, they tend to shift and move around which scratches the paint, typically to bare metal. Compound the trapped moisture and bare metal and rust usually follows. I had one on my first truck back in the 80's and I had to remove the liner for another reason and was appalled at what the liner did to the bed.

Grubrunner 07-16-2013 10:20 PM

I've never had an issue with a drop-in plastic bed liner.

PaulMys 07-16-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1151926)
The problem with plastic linings is twofold, they do not seal out moisture so moisture gets trapped between the liner and the bed. Secondly, they tend to shift and move around which scratches the paint, typically to bare metal. Compound the trapped moisture and bare metal and rust usually follows. I had one on my first truck back in the 80's and I had to remove the liner for another reason and was appalled at what the liner did to the bed.

Ditto on my '90 Dakota. There were rust "pin holes" straight through the bed when I removed mine.

JWM59 07-16-2013 11:16 PM

I have always had plastic liners and never had a problem.

PaulMys 07-16-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWM59 (Post 1151965)
I have always had plastic liners and never had a problem.

This might be an issue of use. If you baby your bed with a plastic liner, it might never become a problem. The man who owned my Dakota before me with a drop-in regularly abused the bed with heavy loads like cement, sand bags etc. (guess he was a mason as that is what I found under the bed) But it was definitively scarred and rusted through after 3 years.

RedSmart 07-16-2013 11:53 PM

A friend of mine had a plastic liner and he didn't do anything with his truck, more than the occasional weekend honey do list and his bed rusted through.

I guess it depends on how well the fit is. If the fit is poor and there is lots of rubbing and moisture (as suggested above) then yep for certain it will be a problem.

I have only ever had the spray in liner and it's great. Of course I've also only had my truck a little over a month, but it just seems the right way to go.

I had it come with the truck so I don't know the cost, but I'm under the impression that it's around $500.00?

If so, then that's money well spent.