DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Is MPG rating improving for 2014 ? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147659)

skytop 07-15-2013 10:57 PM

Is MPG rating improving for 2014 ?

Anyone know if the MPG rating for the Hemi w/ 8 speed is improving over the '13's?

I cannot find the MPG rating on the 2014 Hemi and whether it's power/torque rating has changed to ?

Anyone have the facts on this ?

udontknowjack 07-16-2013 12:12 AM

i dont see why it would.

huntergreen 07-16-2013 12:36 AM

they may have tweaked the hemi a bit more for 14, but i doubt they can get much more mpg from it . there are no printed facts yet. the diesel will be the truck for significant mpg gain.

Thunderhorse 07-16-2013 12:45 AM

the 2013 hemi is already 395 hp/ 410ft lbs. I don't see where they would get extra power from.

Darwin00537 07-16-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse (Post 1151097)
the 2013 hemi is already 395 hp/ 410ft lbs. I don't see where they would get extra power from.

I dunno either, but it sure would be nice to see a 4 at the beginning of that HP rating. :smiley_thumbs_up:

DAA 07-16-2013 09:46 AM

They "could" easily get more power from it. Easily. It's a 5.7L V8 for chrisake, 395/410 isn't impressive at all, there is lots more power to be had there. But at the expense of MPG, which isn't the direction CAFE is taking them.

What 2014 model propaganda I've seen talks about reducing parasitic loss and fuel efficiency gains measured in tenths of a percent. Doesn't sound like enough to notice.

Having a HP number starting with a 4 would be good marketing I'd think. And I've no doubt Ram could get there if they chose to. I wonder if it has anything at all to do with total cost of ownership? I know that back in the day that having a HP rating starting with a 4 meant more expensive insurance, period. The big three all played games with HP ratings based on that - muscle cars were routinely UNDER rated back then for insurance purposes. No idea if that is still true or not though. But if so, might have something to do with it, maybe.

- DAA

skytop 07-16-2013 10:59 AM

You can't see why Dodge would have no reason to increase MPG? Guess you never heard of the CAFE standards.

I cannot see Dodge just changing the number 3 to a number 4 on the registration year number and then pushing the 2013's out as 2014's. There are strident government requirements for all manufacturer's to increase their average mpg ratings each year. I am looking forward to mpg and many other improvements for the new model year. If there are essentially none, it represents another reason to reconsider a 2013 which is essentially the same truck as the 2014. Possibly, it doesn't pay to purchase a '14 and be better off taking the $10K price reduction on a left over '13.

What DAA suggested about the HP rating being increased to the 400 HP level is a grand marketing idea. The 400 HP level is seen as 'magical' and would serve to reinforce the might and reputation of the Hemi. Chrysler engineering and marketing have made the Hemi engine a hallmark and bulwark of Chrysler Corp.

teflon74 07-16-2013 11:09 AM

one reason to buy a 14.....all the little bugs that arose will be engineered out properly. the 2nd year of a new design is almost always a better vehicle. Ya the Hp could easily go to a 4, they must have a reason to not do it. mpg is still a game with all the manufacturers I haven't heard of anything significant for the 14's. even the new diesel hasn't got great real world mpg numbers, its better than a hemi for sure but not great for a diesel.

DAA 07-16-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytop (Post 1151282)
I cannot see Dodge just changing the number 3 to a number 4 on the registration year number and then pushing the 2013's out as 2014's.

<shrug> Choose not to see whatever it suits you not to see. But making insignificant changes and pushing it out as a new model year has been SOP in the industry for like a hundred years now... Chrysler, in particular, has been known for pushing out EXACTLY the same vehicle for year after year (see Jeep Wrangler...).

Quote:

I am looking forward to mpg and many other improvements for the new model year.

What are you basing this optimism on? Nothing that has been leaked, published, rumored or commented on has even hinted at anything of the sort. Minuscule MPG gains and incremental changes (whether they be improvements or not is debatable - see refrigerant discussion...) to various small systems are all I have seen.

Nothing worth waiting and paying more for, in my opinion. But, of course, that is truly a matter of personal preference - it's not for me to say for anyone else what is worth waiting or paying for. For some, the front park assist, or the possibly improved cruise control are worth it.

Quote:

Possibly, it doesn't pay to purchase a '14 and be better off taking the $10K price reduction on a left over '13.

On the face of it, I'd normally say this is an obvious fact. Like "no duh". But... The "left over" 13's aren't going to amount to much. There is little chance there will be a 2013 "left over" that would fit my requirements, for instance. I have a 2013 ordered, exactly what I want. There seems to be some chance it may or may not get built as a 2013. If it doesn't, there is zero chance of finding another 2013 anywhere with the configuration I need.

Shopping hold-over inventory is good buying strategy. But with Ram 1500's on this cycle, it's going to leave you with pretty slim pickings to choose from. Too slim, for my taste.

- DAA

DAA 07-16-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teflon74 (Post 1151293)
one reason to buy a 14.....all the little bugs that arose will be engineered out properly. .

Definitely. If my '13 gets built, I'm "hoping" (not "expecting", just hoping...) that as literally one of the last 13's off the line it benefits from the same principle. Might be too much to hope for though :4-dontknow:.

- DAA