DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Steering squeaking noise (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147780)

AirmenVader 07-17-2013 10:04 AM

Steering squeaking noise

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I have a problem on my 2011 Ram 1500. I notice a squeaking noise when I turn my steering wheel all the way to the right where I can't turn it anymore. What would that be? Any help would be great. Thank you!

RogerRamJet 07-17-2013 06:35 PM

Squeaking noise is coming from column, wheel well, wheel, ??? Does it squeak when your are moving, not moving, accelerating, braking, ???

AirmenVader 07-17-2013 06:41 PM

The noise sounds like it comes from the belt itself. It only does it every now and then. It happens when it's moving or not, but it only squeaks when it's at extreme steering.

RogerRamJet 07-18-2013 01:09 AM

OK, so it's coming from the belt. You've got a 2011, and it only happens at he lock. OK, here's your issue. When you turn your steering wheel all the way, or to the lock, the pump goes in to bypass mode, meaning it no longer pumps power steering fluid in to the rack, but back into itself. This creates more drag on the belt and with a warn belt, it's gonna squeak a bit. Check your belt and see if you have any cracks in it. I know it's a cliche', but I'm gonna say it anyway. If your belt is warn a bit, then the squeak you hear is normal. Change your belt and I bet dollars to peso's that the squeak goes away.

AirmenVader 07-18-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRamJet (Post 1152996)
OK, so it's coming from the belt. You've got a 2011, and it only happens at he lock. OK, here's your issue. When you turn your steering wheel all the way, or to the lock, the pump goes in to bypass mode, meaning it no longer pumps power steering fluid in to the rack, but back into itself. This creates more drag on the belt and with a warn belt, it's gonna squeak a bit. Check your belt and see if you have any cracks in it. I know it's a cliche', but I'm gonna say it anyway. If your belt is warn a bit, then the squeak you hear is normal. Change your belt and I bet dollars to peso's that the squeak goes away.

Thank you so much. I will check that out when I get off from work today. I think that's the problem as well. I just wasn't sure.

RogerRamJet 07-18-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirmenVader (Post 1153143)
Thank you so much. I will check that out when I get off from work today. I think that's the problem as well. I just wasn't sure.

You're welcome, my friend. That's what this forum is all about. Where 'bouts in Texas are you at?

AirmenVader 07-18-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRamJet (Post 1153177)
You're welcome, my friend. That's what this forum is all about. Where 'bouts in Texas are you at?

I'm station at Dyess afb in Abilene. I'm fairly new to this area, came from Arizona.

RogerRamJet 07-18-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirmenVader (Post 1153266)
I'm station at Dyess afb in Abilene. I'm fairly new to this area, came from Arizona.

Thank you for your service, Pak! Make sure you submit a request to get a military badge.
You'll find the Texas heat just a bit different from the Arizona heat. In Abilene it won't be as bad as the Dallas area, and no where near the soggyness of Houston, but you'll get a little bit of humidity and man does it suck!

huntergreen 07-18-2013 06:41 PM

i always back off a bit a wheel lock, no noise, no excess wear and tear.

RogerRamJet 07-18-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1153634)
i always back off a bit a wheel lock, no noise, no excess wear and tear.

Excellent advice! I do the same.