DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   truck cap (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147796)

terry littlejohn 07-17-2013 02:00 PM

truck cap

can anyone tell me if a fiberglass cap off a 2009 ram reg box fit a reg box 2011 ram? everything I read is 6.4ft to 6.5ft, I`m not sure if it`s inside or outside measurement!:4-dontknow:

huntergreen 07-17-2013 09:29 PM

the bed size needs to be the same for it to fit right. just have who ever owns the cap measure the be for you. i would use the outside measurement.

terry littlejohn 07-21-2013 05:59 AM

ok, it`s just confusing when I measure my bed length with the width of the tailgate I have about 4" to play with. I`m not sure where the back of the cap is suppose it sit.

huntergreen 07-21-2013 12:17 PM

i have always had caps, the rubber strip on the bottom of the cap rear window has always sat at the outer edge of the top of the tailgate to keep weather out. i have not put one my 11 and have not seen how they fit with the rounded top of our tailgate.

gysnst2 07-21-2013 11:51 PM

Ok it depends on what type of cap it is. Leer ARE. The glass sits on top of the front of the tailgate. Flat spot. The snug top has a molded piece of fiberglass that contoures the tailgate.

Dancianne 07-24-2013 02:35 PM

bed caps

Having agreed to buy a used cap many years ago for another truck, I discovered that it was way off being a good fit. If you have the opportunity to do so, I'd highly recommend that you ask for a trial fit. That flared tailgate edge is very important, if it doesn't match up exactly, go with a new one. I bought a new ARE for my '11 quad cab for approximately $1100. No problems whatsoever.

huntergreen 07-25-2013 09:18 PM

a new are cap for 1100.00? i would drive down today for that price.

Dancianne 07-26-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1159258)
a new are cap for 1100.00? i would drive down today for that price.

Well that's about an average price ARE dealers charge down here in SC.
Factory matched color and fit from your VIN number including installation.
Took about 2 weeks for delivery to the dealer. Ordered mine from
Travelier Truck Accessories in Piedmont, SC (near Greenville, SC off I-85.)
This was my 3rd one as I've traded trucks over the years and never had a problem. Tinted windows, sliding/screened sides (didn't order front sliding), interior lighting and braking light all standard. Thing I like best is that water doesn't pour down on me when I raise the back window. A good quality topper value for the money, no fade, no leaks, no cracking and very secure locking. Will last as long as a new truck will.

huntergreen 07-27-2013 01:33 PM

A.R.E. are good caps. dose that price include install? any pics of truck with cap?

ArmyofOne 07-27-2013 03:21 PM

That is a fantastic price. Even if it doesnt include install, bring a buddy and DIY, they arent that heavy.

Those run $2500 to 3k up here in Washington for similar specs.