DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   turning circle? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147876)

anothernewb 07-18-2013 10:08 AM

turning circle?

Okay, this isn't really a complaint, just noticing things being different.

Coming from 7 years driving an extended cab 6' box GMC, it seemed like I had to crank the wheel quite a bit, and could make a pretty tight turn when I needed to.

Noticed on the new ram Crew Cab 6'4 box I make something like 3 turns of the wheel and I'm at lock. Not that I've had any issues maneuvering, but sure seems like I can't turn nearly as tight of a corner.

To me, in all seriousness, it feels like the 20" wheels restrict how far I can turn the wheel. is the wheelbase really that much longer or is the steering ratio that much faster that I hit lock sooner????

again not complaining - just kinda weirded out. seems like I hit the steering limits alot.

huntergreen 07-18-2013 05:21 PM

funny, the only thing i ever noticed is the steering feels tight and responsive and never had an issue with the turning radius.

skytop 07-18-2013 07:13 PM

Don't be unhappy. You are way ahead with the Dodge. My F350 C.C. w/ 8' bed needed a FULL six lanes to make a U turn. The Fords have notoriously poor turning ability and numb steering feel. I will never miss that Ford feature.

phobos512 07-19-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytop (Post 1153723)
Don't be unhappy. You are way ahead with the Dodge. My F350 C.C. w/ 8' bed needed a FULL six lanes to make a U turn. The Fords have notoriously poor turning ability and numb steering feel. I will never miss that Ford feature.

Funny...When I was test driving I drove an F250 CCSB and the guy had me drive in circles around a light pole in an empty parking lot to show how awesome the turning radius was...By the numbers my Ram 2500 CCSB has something like a 6 foot smaller turning circle.

What I really found interesting though is that there's NO STANDARD in the auto industry for what turning radius / circle actually means!

RedSmart 07-19-2013 02:14 AM

I never really gave that a thought until now.

I suppose coming from a car, I just figured that the turning radius wouldn't be that good just because of the sheer size difference.

GTyankee 07-19-2013 02:41 AM

find a big dirt lot
crank your wheels one way or the other & go forward for one circle

now do the same thing in reverse
backwards is the tighter circle
highway patrol uses reverse motion to make quick turn arounds

02325 07-19-2013 08:28 AM

I will say the steering raito is diff b/t GM and RAM. Not sure on number of turns of the steering wheel.

My dad has a 02 2500hd ECSB Chevy and I will say it takes a football field to turn that truck around.
My friend has a 06 1500 CCSB Z71 and his truck is the same way. Both wre surprised how "tight" the radius of my truck was compared to theirs.

huntergreen 07-19-2013 08:57 AM

funny thing thing is, i have always felt the front end of dodge trucks were the weak spot, might have to rethink this.

anothernewb 07-19-2013 09:07 AM

I'm starting to think It's just a faster ratio on the rack. either that, or with the electric assist, it's a variable ratio. I played around with some tight corners, had no issue maneuvering the truck According to online specs, it appears that the turning circle for the ram is a few feet bigger, but not, I think, enough to really "feel" IMO. It sure is nice not feeling that steering sector shudder and hearing the power steering pump groan when I max out though!