DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Front shock chirping (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147887)

Jmania44 07-18-2013 12:01 PM

Front shock chirping

Ok so a week or two ago my front passenger side started making this high pitched chirping noise when I'm coasting down the road. It sounds like a metal on metal sliding against each other. I can bounce on the front end and it sounds like its coming from the shock. When it gets wet it stops. I've sprayed everything down with grease and can't make it stop but if I spray it with water in the shock area it stops. How do you tighten down the shock tower or is there something else someone who has had this problem knows what I can do.

bseling 08-04-2013 09:23 PM

My truck is having a similar issue. When going over any small bump, something squeaks...

I took it to a dealer near my house and they basically gave up and said "noises arent covered under warranty".... Not really a good response if you ask me...

Anyone else have a similar problem? Should I go to another dealer? I have 34,500 miles on my truck, so I'm getting awfully close to the magic 36k... I find this very frustrating.

ramfan1500 09-01-2013 12:59 AM

my truck has 32,000 miles and i have the squeak when going over small bumps, cant figure it out. I hope someone has found the solution to this

bseling 09-03-2013 10:27 PM

So I finally got the dealership to replace the two front shocks under warranty, and after a week, I think I am convinced that the squeak is gone! I'll repost if it comes back (God forbid!)

Joem 09-23-2013 12:37 PM

I get a metal clunk sound when going over speed bumps. Dealer said they don't hear anything and I'm at 34,000 as well going to a different dealer to get it looked at. The outlet connected to the batt also did not work until they had it then it was fine for two days and now it doesn't work again!

hoyter 09-23-2013 10:52 PM

I had a similar metal clunk from the drivers side front when hitting bumps with some feeling in the pedals. After two new shocks, they replaced the caliper. The work notes stated they were unable to torque it to spec. The noise stopped immediately. I guess maybe it was rattling around a bit.

Windbane 10-03-2013 08:19 PM

I have the same squeaking/chirping sound, haven't brought it to the dealer yet. Seems to happen at random times, so far I only hear it on rough dirt roads (the suspension sounds really loud on the rough stuff too). I also noticed today that I have alot of, I'm guessing, brake dust on the front drivers side rim. So maybe the noise is a brake issue?

Joem 10-11-2013 12:35 PM

Well I took mine to another dealer and it turned out the bolts holding the frame to the body were missing in the front!!! It was fixed and sounded fine the rest of the day, but I traded it for a new 14 the next day.

07HDram 10-19-2013 02:06 PM

I had a similar chirpy squeak when I went over small bumps in the road. I replaced my shocks, ball joints and axle u-joints and still had the issue. finally ended up spraying down the top and bottom of my coil springs with PB Blaster and the noise went away. Its been 4 months and its still going strong. It's worth a shot.

BENLOCO 03-25-2014 09:05 AM

i had the chirping coming from right hand side of my truck. i replaced the front shocks and struts and the problem is still there! its very anoying and somebody better find a soulution. its driveing me insane.