DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Gear box, pump, or intermediate shaft??? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=147923)

jabba974 07-18-2013 09:28 PM

Gear box, pump, or intermediate shaft???

Hey all, I have 1997 Dodge ram 2500 4wd ext/sb. I have an issue with the steering (surprise, surprise...). the truck has @ 236,000 miles on it, but I have replaced nearly every mech part on it...My problem is that at low speads, turning corners/driveways/parking spots the steering is very hard...and there is a clunk noise in aproximatly the same spot either way I turn the wheel...If I give it a little throttle, it does move easier, but this is often an issue in a parking lot, or pulling into my driveway....I have experienced the "death wobble" a number of times( there is a section of road about a mile from my house that does it every time).
I have replaced balljoints, axle joints, all steering linkages, shocks, upgraded to an aftermarket steering stabilizer, which helped the death wobble a little...My question is, do I replace the gearbox, ps pump, or intmediate shaft?
The pump was replaced about 4 years ago, and the gear box leaked at the pitman arm( I replaced the seals)...The steering isn't "sloppy" but there is a lot of play in it, and it does tend to wander on rough roads... So I don't think adjusting the gear box is the solution...

If anybody has some suggestions I would appreciate it...

Wh1t3nukle 07-23-2013 02:25 AM

This kind of reads like a deteriorated gear box. The pump seems fine since you say the steering effort improves with a little throttle. Higher rpms drives more fluid pressure. I'm assuming, since you didn't say, that the gear box is original....with that mileage! I'd say kudos to that life and you need to just get a RedHead gear box. :D Just a hunch going on your post here. Have you taken it to a shop you trust?

jabba974 07-24-2013 10:32 PM

That's what I was thinking too, but wanted some opinions before I spent the money on a new gear box...I'm picking a new one up tomorow..I'll let you know how it works out...

jabba974 07-27-2013 07:17 PM

Ok...installed the new gear box today before work...Went pretty good...The hard spots in the steering are gone, turns with much less effort, or throttle...steering feels better going down the road....

One issue still experiencing....there is still some play running down the road...It seems like the tie rod going to the pass wheel rolls up and down when turning...anybody else experinece this? I'm thinking I should just replace it...again....

jabba974 08-08-2013 01:36 AM

Ok...another problem...steering seemed to work well until I put it in 4wd low the other day, and it didnt want to turn at all....UG...gonna try another pump I guess...any other things I should be on the look out for?

jabba974 08-15-2013 04:15 AM

Ok...I think it's finnally fixed....Replaced the pump and hose's...seems to steer fine now...no problems turning in 2wd or 4wd....