DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Oh Boy??????? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148003)

ND RAM 07-19-2013 06:53 PM

Oh Boy???????

In a few months ALL service stations in my city will phase out non-ethanol gasoline.

How is this going to change how my "Hemi" performs.:4-dontknow:

Any pros and cons will be appreciated.

Thanks.

brandonjansen 07-19-2013 06:59 PM

You're going less bang for your buck is essentially what it means. Ethanol gas has more oxygen in it, when your computer senses the oxygen it in turn gives it more fuel. Therefore you get less MPG with ethanol gas than pure gas.

As far as performance goes the difference will be very minimal. Definitely not noticeable but there's a good chance of a small decrease in power and torque.

huntergreen 07-21-2013 11:19 AM

mpg will increase. i will wait for you to tell us about how your truck reacts to this.

Warthog Fixer 07-24-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1154527)
You're going less bang for your buck ... Therefore you get less MPG with ethanol gas than pure gas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1155533)
mpg will increase.

:box:

Brandonjansen Vs. Huntergreen

Personally I think he'll loose a few ticks. Not a lot mind you, but definately some loss of fuel economy/power. My brother runs E85 in all his vehicles and states a 2-5 MPG decrease, granted that's in mostly 4 cyl vehicles. And yes E85 isn't 10% ethanol...

Anyone else?

brandonjansen 07-24-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warthog Fixer (Post 1157870)
:box:

Brandonjansen Vs. Huntergreen

Personally I think he'll loose a few ticks. Not a lot mind you, but definately some loss of fuel economy/power. My brother runs E85 in all his vehicles and states a 2-5 MPG decrease, granted that's in mostly 4 cyl vehicles. And yes E85 isn't 10% ethanol...

Anyone else?

Haha, ya I'm not really sure where huntergreen is getting this info from. There's multiple threads regarding this issue throughout the forum. Lots talking about 10% ethanol gas VS pure gas and then gas VS E85. As soon as you introduce ethanol into the equation your MPG is going to drop. That's just how it is. For the reasons I stated in my first post above ^^ ....

oldhp 07-24-2013 08:30 PM

Your HEMI will be snappier. You will get better MPG. I got over 1 MPG better. Ethanol does nothing for MPG.

brandonjansen 07-24-2013 09:21 PM

I have a feeling both huntergreen and oldhp may be reading the OP's post wrong. I took me a few reads when I first read it just to get it straight as well. So I'll explain it a bit better....

His city is getting rid of all non-ethanol gas, meaning pure gas will no longer be available, he will only be able to get gas with ethanol in it. Therefore he will drop MPG, not gain....

05cr125r 07-24-2013 09:24 PM

always get your gas in the mornings

topgun 07-24-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1158443)
His city is getting rid of all non-ethanol gas, meaning pure gas will no longer be available, he will only be able to get gas with ethanol in it. Therefore he will drop MPG, not gain....

Absolutely correct. All we have is the <10% ethanol gas and it is definitely less MPGs. For all the nonbelievers, it's even specified as such on the government website. The E85 that Flex Fuel vehicles can use gets even worse mileage.

Quote:

vehicles will typically go 3–4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline.

FFVs operating on E85 usually experience a 25–30% drop in miles per gallon due to ethanol’s lower energy content.

Grubrunner 07-24-2013 09:55 PM

brandonjansen's correct.

:smileup: