DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   1st OIL CHANGE THAT'S WEIRD (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148080)

maw76 07-21-2013 01:30 AM

1st OIL CHANGE THAT'S WEIRD

Ok so first oil change was easy. Used a Fram oil filter remover the one that attaches to a 3/8 ratchet filter came off easy and loads of room to work the ratchet. Used large zip lock bag trick to keep the steering components clean. So I go to fill her up first filled the filter about 300ml, then first 5l jug then another 1 litre and then another 300 ml. So now I got 6.6 l of Pennzoil Platinum in her turn her over look for leaks all is good give a shot of gas then turn her off. Wait 15 min so oil drains down clean up everything now 30 minutes later I go to check her level :SHOCKED: was missing oil :4-dontknow: had to add another 700 ml. I don't know about you guys but 7.3 l over 6.6 l is a lot to be off that's a 12% difference. Not that I mind I prefer more oil as long as it is not passed the full mark.

So we all set out for a drive 200km later get home get the bugs off her man I thought my rubicon was bad with bugs lol check the oil again and is dead on still. Anyone else have to put more than 6.6l in to bring her up to the full mark on the dip stick?

maw76 07-21-2013 09:32 AM

What everybody only needs 6.6L of oil !?

usmcz28 07-21-2013 09:38 AM

Took me a second to convert liters to quarts but yes 6.6l or 7 quarts is about right for these trucks.

maw76 07-21-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcz28 (Post 1155419)
Took me a second to convert liters to quarts but yes 6.6l or 7 quarts is about right for these trucks.

ya but mine took 7.3L which is 7.7 qts

not that I mind she holds more just better in the long run having more clean oil in her.

Irv 08-06-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maw76 (Post 1155305)
Ok so first oil change was easy. Used a Fram oil filter remover the one that attaches to a 3/8 ratchet filter came off easy and loads of room to work the ratchet. Used large zip lock bag trick to keep the steering components clean. So I go to fill her up first filled the filter about 300ml, then first 5l jug then another 1 litre and then another 300 ml. So now I got 6.6 l of Pennzoil Platinum in her turn her over look for leaks all is good give a shot of gas then turn her off. Wait 15 min so oil drains down clean up everything now 30 minutes later I go to check her level :SHOCKED: was missing oil :4-dontknow: had to add another 700 ml. I don't know about you guys but 7.3 l over 6.6 l is a lot to be off that's a 12% difference. Not that I mind I prefer more oil as long as it is not passed the full mark.

So we all set out for a drive 200km later get home get the bugs off her man I thought my rubicon was bad with bugs lol check the oil again and is dead on still. Anyone else have to put more than 6.6l in to bring her up to the full mark on the dip stick?

That is a strange one, and although I haven't done my first oil change yet, I did notice I was over full when I checked my oil after getting it home from the dealer.

I removed around 250ml, which isn't a lot but I personally think I could have removed another 100ml easily and still been at the full mark.

I will keep an eye on how much I need when I do my first one but was planning on adding 6.6L's myself.
Thanks for the heads up. :smileup:

S.C. Express 08-11-2013 05:15 PM

I bought a 5.1 gallon jug of Penzoil platinum and two (1) quart bottles. A K&N filter. When I drained the oil the dealer put in after 4500 miles of use, only 5 qts came out.
Anyways I poured all three bottles in, fired it up and leak checked it. Closed the hood and did not bother checking the level. Checked it 2k miles later, it was a tick above full, just 1-2mm above the mark. 7 quarts is perfect depending on the oil filter you buy. Some vary in the amount they hold but not enough to make a difference realy.

Irv 08-11-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.C. Express (Post 1173952)
I bought a 5.1 gallon jug of Penzoil platinum and two (1) quart bottles. A K&N filter. When I drained the oil the dealer put in after 4500 miles of use, only 5 qts came out.
Anyways I poured all three bottles in, fired it up and leak checked it. Closed the hood and did not bother checking the level. Checked it 2k miles later, it was a tick above full, just 1-2mm above the mark. 7 quarts is perfect depending on the oil filter you buy. Some vary in the amount they hold but not enough to make a difference realy.

Never considered that but read in these posts that the factory filter is tiny so if the replacement is of a larger size, then I could see where a few 100 ml's more might be required?

Irv 08-24-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maw76 (Post 1155305)

Just did my first oil change at 2500 km's exactly (1562.5miles) and all went well.
The oil filter luckily for me wasn't welded on like I have read on here, it came loose fairly easy with a band type filter remover:smileup:
I used a cut off ice cream container but it wasn't more than just a tray by the time I got done cutting it.

I added 6.5 liters of Pennzoil dino oil (5W-20) (filled filter first) Car Quest 84899 (Premium filter) then went for a drive, came home, let sit 20-30 minutes and checked level and it was bang on the full mark.

The Car Quest 84899 is definitely bigger than the stock filter so I am curious why it only took this much?

I did drive the truck before doing the oil change so the oil was good and hot (hot trying to grab the filter!) and I let it drain at least a half hour while I did some other things.
The front of the truck was raised on ramps plus my driveway is sloped up hill so I know all oil was definitely directed to the drain plug.
When I installed the drain plug it was down to a drip about every 10-15 seconds so I know I got the majority and then some out.

I will verify my findings after a longer drive and a longer shut/cool down, but going by it currently, it looks like 6.5 or 6.6 is all that is needed for my truck, even with the slightly larger oil filter?

I will have to invest in one of those oil filter cups that require a ratchet as the strap one I used was a bugger to get on and a bugger to try and turn it loose.

Irv 08-25-2013 04:51 PM

Read in the manual today to at "Least" let your vehicle sit for 30 minutes before checking for proper oil level.

I went for another drive today, (10-15 km's) then parked my truck at the end of the driveway/road where it is level, I waited at least 50 minutes this time and then rechecked.

My oil level still shows up exactly on the full mark, maybe a mm or 2 below it but nothing more.
I will recheck tomorrow after the truck has sat for 8hrs (work, and provided I can find a flat spot to park?) but I think the 6.5 or there about's that I added will be plenty?

CrazyCanuck 08-26-2013 01:15 AM

Just out of curiosity, are you sure the jugs were 1liter and not 1 usqt? Even up here in Canada I've seen some retailers selling USqt of one brand next to liters of another,probably hoping customers won't notice their getting less.