DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Another Wheel/Tire combo question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148181)

Ferb444 07-21-2013 10:31 PM

Another Wheel/Tire combo question

Hello all, new to the forms and i feel welcomed. thanks.

Here is my issue, 2011 Ram 1500 4WD
I have installed rough country 2.5" leveling kit on front end. Nothing on back.

I want to remove the stock tires, (265/70r17) and put on 305 or 315 70R17.
Will i need 1/4" wheel spacers?
This will be on the stock wheels, which i'm sure are 17x7. correct?

now another question,
same tire sizes, 305 or 315 70r17
but on 17x9 wheels?
what will i need to do?
I want to use the 17x9 wheels, cause they are nice, but will the tires fit? with wheel spacers? is that all i need are wheel spacers?
please help.
thank you!!!

brandonjansen 07-22-2013 02:45 AM

Some of the stock 17's are 8" wide. You'll definitely want to find out exactly what you have before making a move. But you will need 1/4" spacers to clear a tire that wide.

If you go to a 17x9 I'm assuming you're going aftermarket correct? If you do that just make sure you get a 0 or -12 offset and you'll clear them no problem. As long as you get the correct offset you won't need wheel spacers.

Ferb444 07-22-2013 07:45 AM

thanks, the 17x9 rims are after market, kinda, they are actually the rims that came of a 06 ram, it was a special package on that model year, they are the chrome clad rims.

now with this offset nonsense, i've been reading all about it. i don't understand it, i have the rims, what is this offset 0 or -12? is that something special on the wheels? or do they offset the tire when putting on the rim?

i read the whole work up on wheels and tires combos on a thread, but it was mainly about 20 inch wheels. talking about 285 where the max size to go without spacers, i wish someone would post a work up about 17 inch wheels.

also, the wheel spacers are just needed on the front tires, how will it the tires on the truck look if i only do spacers on the front? should i put them on the back too just to even it out? and photos of this?

thanks again!

brandonjansen 07-22-2013 04:32 PM

Offset is the distance off center that the mounting surface is located within the wheel. It is directly related to backspacing. So a -12mm offset will stick out 0.5" further than a 0 offset. This gives more clearance on the inside to fit the wider tire.

If you do spacers I would definitely do them front and back. The front already sticks out about 0/5" further than the back from the factory so it would look funny to have them out even further without doing the back.

nbram 07-22-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonjansen (Post 1156464)
Offset is the distance off center that the mounting surface is located within the wheel. It is directly related to backspacing. So a -12mm offset will stick out 0.5" further than a 0 offset. This gives more clearance on the inside to fit the wider tire.

If you do spacers I would definitely do them front and back. The front already sticks out about 0/5" further than the back from the factory so it would look funny to have them out even further without doing the back.

Not wanting to hijack the thread but will a 20"x9" wheel with -12mm offset with stock 275/60/20 tires stick out past the fender with the Outdoorsman flares?

brandonjansen 07-22-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbram (Post 1156640)
Not wanting to hijack the thread but will a 20"x9" wheel with -12mm offset with stock 275/60/20 tires stick out past the fender with the Outdoorsman flares?

Nope. You should be tucked under them by about a 1/4".

nbram 07-22-2013 08:53 PM

Thanks brandonjansen back spacing and offset can be confusing.....