DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Help with MPG! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148217)

Mr.BadKid 07-22-2013 02:49 PM

Help with MPG!

Have 99 5.2L. I'm planning on getting the AFE air filter pro dry as well an AFE throttle spacer for the truck. I do not plan on getting any new intake because I've seen data and research that the stock intake is good enough as an aftermarket one. Will both AFE products help increase MPG, I'm just looking to gain little to some MPG.

paintengr 08-09-2013 08:34 AM

Wheel alignment, wheel bearings greased keep your foot out of the gas.vacuum gauge.free flow muffer cherry bomb my fav. Lol

Grubrunner 08-09-2013 08:36 AM

Throttle Body Spacers are worthless.

Hermes1 08-09-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1172163)
Throttle Body Spacers are worthless.

Yep, my understanding as well.

the persuader 08-09-2013 12:26 PM

I'd do a tune up first, depending on how long it's been. New distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Check the intake plenum for oil. What gears do you have and what is your tire size?

These trucks aren't known for gas mileage. What are you getting now?

Gen1dak 08-09-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.BadKid (Post 1156387)
Have 99 5.2L. I'm planning on getting the AFE air filter pro dry as well an AFE throttle spacer for the truck. I do not plan on getting any new intake because I've seen data and research that the stock intake is good enough as an aftermarket one. Will both AFE products help increase MPG, I'm just looking to gain little to some MPG.

PT Barnum said it best, and despite the fact that he's dead, and some feel that means his words are no longer factual, he's never been more right. I can't fathom how people are STILL being suckered with the spacer myth. Spacers work wonders when used with low profile "wet" intakes (wet, meaning carbureted). Those low profile intakes were common on 70's engines, and above 4000 rpms, they would suffer the effects of fuel drop-out due to the tight turns in the ports of those low profile intakes. Even then, the Mopar smallblocks did not suffer from low-profile intakes like the others, so no real gains. Typically you'd see a loss of around 7 lbs torque around 2500rpm for an increase of 10hp at around 5,000rpm. It was a cheap way to help an engine breather better when a cam was changed until a better intake could be installed. On a tall dry intake like the Magnum's keg, it DOES NOT HELP. It might throw off a "kewl" whistle, which is the result of turbulence, not smooth flow, and that makes the user feel good. It's about tricking the mind. I ride by at 35mph in 3rd gear, then ride by at 25mph in second, and you're not able to see me, which time am I going faster? I barely get noticed in third, but in second it sounds like a NASCAR race. The perception is I'm flying when in second gear, when I'm actually going slower. You're looking for mileage, not power, so slow down. Lugging the engine is dull and boring, but saves gas. So, go easy on the throttle, don't dive in and force kickdowns. (You don't wanna hear that, do you? Of course. Nobody does. We want it all, but it doesn't work that way.) Now, as to the intake, it's fine for a stock engine with stock cam, and running below 4,000rpm's. You may even see a loss of mileage if you just added an M1 intake manifold to a stock engine. That being said, what good is a spacer? None. The whole point in adding an aftermarket intake manifold is to increase flow to the engine (usually with better cam and exhaust). Now, remind me, what is it they say the spacer is for? Even if it did improve flow (and it doesn't......unless you're talking about dumping water through the engine), why do you need it on a stock engine? You don't.

You stated seeing data that a stock intake manifold was as good as an aftermarket one? Really? Where'd you see that? Maybe on the spacer site? Did they pull the water trick out? Look how much faster the water flows when our spacer is used! Total crap. Water is non-compressible, so yes, their spacer helps by directing flow. Air is many times less dense, and IS compressible. Claiming they are both "fluid" is a play on words. In a sense, they both are, but one is a gas, the other is a liquid. Mercury is fluid, but it's also a metal. See what I mean?
Some things never get old: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."