DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Amazingly different stories.... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148229)

Yankee 07-22-2013 04:22 PM

Amazingly different stories....

Hard to believe such a simple thing can get so complicated. I didnt order mine "online"...I built it after alot of research, took it to the dealer i chose, on 6/22, agreed on a price ($200 over invoice), he submitted the order, I gave him a few bucks, and i left. One of the items i checked online was the so-called date this line(2014 1500 quads) was to commence...7/22.

Subsequently, i discovered a link to track my vehicle...But i had no VON, let alone a piece of a VIN....after several phone calls to DODGE produced nothing, i got a friendly CS rep from CANADA of all places, who called the dealer, and got the VON.why DODGE DIDNT HAVE IT, PRIOR ...AND WHY SHE HAD TO CALL THE DEALER TO GET IT...I have no clue......the tracking link THEN worked....for all i know, the dealer had it the day i ordered it...or not...it doesnt matter, I got it...

Since then, I have gotten a number of emails from DODGE, not only providing the actual VIN, but the last one changing the status to "SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION"..I called DODGE yet again, and they not only gave me an actual date (8/6), but sent me an email of my actual build sheet, I have that, and am awaiting a snail mail copy, which i requested just for fun...

I have read MANY posts in here stating that info obtained from dealers and/or DODGE is unreliable, to say the least. Theoretically, subject to "real world" delays, i suppose, my actual build was to start today. I dont know what to believe. "we shall see"

JamesL 07-22-2013 05:30 PM

I have said from beginning it should not be this hard. This is a multy million dollar facility and I find it hard to believe they dont keep a schedule. They know how long it takes to build a truck or 100 trucks or 1000 trucks. I can understand the shipping part but they should be able to tell a customer almost to th hour wjrn their truck will hit the line and from there how long it takes.

ShawnC13 07-22-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yankee (Post 1156456)
Hard to believe such a simple thing can get so complicated. I didnt order mine "online"...I built it after alot of research, took it to the dealer i chose, on 6/22, agreed on a price ($200 over invoice), he submitted the order, I gave him a few bucks, and i left. One of the items i checked online was the so-called date this line(2014 1500 quads) was to commence...7/22.

Subsequently, i discovered a link to track my vehicle...But i had no VON, let alone a piece of a VIN....after several phone calls to DODGE produced nothing, i got a friendly CS rep from CANADA of all places, who called the dealer, and got the VON.why DODGE DIDNT HAVE IT, PRIOR ...AND WHY SHE HAD TO CALL THE DEALER TO GET IT...I have no clue......the tracking link THEN worked....for all i know, the dealer had it the day i ordered it...or not...it doesnt matter, I got it...

Since then, I have gotten a number of emails from DODGE, not only providing the actual VIN, but the last one changing the status to "SCHEDULED FOR PRODUCTION"..I called DODGE yet again, and they not only gave me an actual date (8/6), but sent me an email of my actual build sheet, I have that, and am awaiting a snail mail copy, which i requested just for fun...

I have read MANY posts in here stating that info obtained from dealers and/or DODGE is unreliable, to say the least. Theoretically, subject to "real world" delays, i suppose, my actual build was to start today. I dont know what to believe. "we shall see"

The bolded area is why things are getting done now!! Just kidding I hope your latest news is true and we want pics when you pick it up!!

Yankee 07-22-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnC13 (Post 1156530)
The bolded area is why things are getting done now!! Just kidding I hope your latest news is true and we want pics when you pick it up!!

It'll be my pleasure, believe me....im glad i joined this, as im sure ther'll be some techie questions, etc, and there were some very useful links in here too...but sheesh, what folks seem to be going thru is....amazing..every story and variation under the sun....I expect gas from dealers, but DODGE itself????.. back in the old days...the REAL old days, nobody knew anything....and now...it seems the same hehehehheheh

bradburyesqu 07-22-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL (Post 1156493)
I have said from beginning it should not be this hard. This is a multy million dollar facility and I find it hard to believe they dont keep a schedule. They know how long it takes to build a truck or 100 trucks or 1000 trucks. I can understand the shipping part but they should be able to tell a customer almost to th hour wjrn their truck will hit the line and from there how long it takes.

I'm not sure if you've ever worked manufacturing, but I have. And things aren't as perfect as you paint them.

Tools break unexpectedly, suppliers have issues, people call in sick and sometimes things are within tolerance and don't fit like they should because the engineers never actually built the thing. (just to name the obvious.)

they should be able to give you a good idea of when the next 10 or may be even 100 trucks will roll off the line, but 1000 or more? There is just no way to be sure that far out. If they did give you their best estimate the date would slip and then we'd all be complaining about how they never can get things done when they say they will.

It's a lose lose situation for the plant.

JamesL 07-22-2013 10:34 PM

Its not a loose loose for them. Apparently you have not read some of the post here. The publizized they would build 2014 starting 7/22 yet there are still people waiting on 13s. No I havent worked in production before but I don need to to figure out it is poor business to have people waiting this long for a 13

Yankee 07-22-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradburyesqu (Post 1156747)
I'm not sure if you've ever worked manufacturing, but I have. And things aren't as perfect as you paint them.

Tools break unexpectedly, suppliers have issues, people call in sick and sometimes things are within tolerance and don't fit like they should because the engineers never actually built the thing. (just to name the obvious.)

they should be able to give you a good idea of when the next 10 or may be even 100 trucks will roll off the line, but 1000 or more? There is just no way to be sure that far out. If they did give you their best estimate the date would slip and then we'd all be complaining about how they never can get things done when they say they will.

It's a lose lose situation for the plant.

All that may be real world true, and i actually worked at the GM plant in Tareytown NY a long long time ago...on the line...so yes...altho that was a different world, i DO know whereof you speak...but the screw ups and misinformation, and dare i say DISinformation may lead one to believe that they dont merely have occassional production problems, but theyre perfectly willing to keep their dealers and customers in the dark as well....they have the PERFECT vehicle to keep EVERYONE in the loop....dont they??? but they dont....when otherwise sane (?) folks post what they do, I begin to wonder about the reliability of DODGE's public information...and the sanity of my purchase...do people who order Ford or GMC go thru this????

bradburyesqu 07-22-2013 11:20 PM

I'm not defending everything Chrysler does. I was responding to the assertion that they should know exactly when the next 1000 trucks will roll of the line. There is an exception these days that all information should be immediately available. It simple isn't a realistic expectation.

If they published an exact date for each truck orders, and those dates moved every couple of weeks or even every couple of months people would complain about that just as people are complaining now. That is my point.

As far as people waiting extended periods of time with no update. I don't defend that at all.

Yankee 07-23-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradburyesqu (Post 1156810)
I'm not defending everything Chrysler does. I was responding to the assertion that they should know exactly when the next 1000 trucks will roll of the line. There is an exception these days that all information should be immediately available. It simple isn't a realistic expectation.

If they published an exact date for each truck orders, and those dates moved every couple of weeks or even every couple of months people would complain about that just as people are complaining now. That is my point.

As far as people waiting extended periods of time with no update. I don't defend that at all.

I can appreciate your point....and while your position is logical, i for one would rather have the exact date, even though it could change, perhaps with a code explaining that theyre waiting for parts or some such....or even without it...either way, THAT would tell me that someone somewhere is paying attention....If i was to actually list the silliness and misinformation surrounding MY order, (which is fairly mild compared to some in here) it would cause alll kinds of embarassment to any Executive who was actually sincere...

That raises another point...given all the layers of bureaucracy in any organization of size, Im sure that people who KNOW how disorganized it is arent gonna raise one finger to try and fix it......

I still believe i'll get the truck, but i no longer expect it when ANYBODY says.....

DAA 07-23-2013 08:44 AM

For me, it hasn't even really been about the length of the wait. I expected it to be a full three months going in. It's the utter lack of meaningful information. I'm currently in a position of not knowing whether I'll get the '13 I ordered within the next couple of weeks, or will be waiting a couple more months for a '14. I have stuff going on, plans, vacation time, money on the line etc. that are all very much affected by just exactly when I'm going to get my truck. And nobody I have access to within Ram can tell me.

I'd be fine with either scenario, if I could have a little bit of confidence. Trying to plan my life for the next couple of months is pretty much impossible the way it is now though.

- DAA