96 1500 Automatic Gear Selector is Dead
The wife went to pull out of the driveway yesterday and the gear selector was shifting but the transmission remained in park. I have searched high and low for a resolution, part number (for a cable?), drawing, etc........on the web for hours and have found nothing !!!!
Here are the known symptoms;
1) Automatic gear shift selector moves and sometimes shifts the transmission.
2) I can manually shift the car with my hand by moving the piece that is connected to the steering column (on the engine side of the firewall), up or down. It shifts consistently when I force it this way. Due to this, I am thinking my problem is from the gear selector (inside the cab) to the piece on the engine side of the firewall. The problem is, I do not see any cable connecting from the column to this piece, it just rotates up or down on the steering column shaft when moving the gear selector........sometimes.
3) Took apart all of the covers to the steering column inside the cab. All I can see is a cable that moves the shift indicator to the different locations. That part functions very well and moves freely.
4) Checked all of the linkages from the firewall to the transmission for loose or broken connections. None were found.
5) The only time the gear selector may work is when the gear selector is forced very hard to the Park position. It may catch one or two times but then it is back to not working at all
HELP PLEASE !!!!
Bump... I could probably figure it out if I was there, but unfortunately, I don't know.
Iam not sure if there is a cable that connects to the shifter tube or if the shifter tube moves on the steering shaft column to shift it??
Really wish I could be of more help. Do you have a Chilton's manual? Unless another member chimes in, I'm thinking that would be the route to take.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Release Candidate 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger