DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   loosing oil pressure, help! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148316)

02RamGuy 07-23-2013 07:10 PM

loosing oil pressure, help!

I have a 02' Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L quad cab. Please bear with me as I will tell you whats going on from the start. Well in the past little while I have been having to add oil pretty often. I do believe its leaking from the oil pan gasket in the bottom of the "U" shape on the front of the pan gasket. I can't see any other place on the motor where it would be leaking. The truck does have 175,00 miles on it so it may be using SOME oil, but not as much as im having to add and besides there is no smoke at all coming out of the pipes. Ok, so I can usually tell when I need to add oil because the pressure will drop all the way down and come back up, but not here lately. The oil level is FULL and its getting more and more common for the pressure to drop all the way down, stay down for about 4-5 seconds, then return to normal. Note: This is only at a idle, I almost never had it to drop while driving down the road. Mostly at stop lights and such when im at a idle.

What could this be? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Some notes:
-has 175,000 miles (95% HWY)
-I use 10W-30 motor oil, changed regularly (here lately since I been adding oil often I been using cheaper oil i.e. Valvoline, Quaker oil) I usually and once I get gasket fixed I will go back to Castrol
-oil filter is also changed with oil always

Any questions for me please ask. I dont know whats going on here or if somethings going bad or if its something simple I can do.

Thanks in advance

05cr125r 07-23-2013 07:14 PM

i would say that gasket is the problem...get it fixed asap

02RamGuy 07-23-2013 07:36 PM

would the gasket itself cause the pressure to drop??

huntergreen 07-24-2013 01:19 AM

unlesss the oil is very low, i doubt that is causing low pressure. swith to a bit thicker dino oil and see if that helps.

02RamGuy 07-24-2013 09:13 AM

so you think maybe try 10w-40??

kxlexus 07-24-2013 10:07 AM

You don't want to hear this but get prepared to rebuild your engine. Low oil pressure and using oil are good signs of a worn out motor.

TooPoorForHemi 07-24-2013 10:20 AM

Sounds like you have a tremendous amount of blow by and leaking. Also you can't really increase your oil pressure. All you can do is increase the volume. A really unlikely cause is that you'r oil pump could be partially clogged and not distributing the full amount of oil throughout the engine.

skytop 07-24-2013 11:08 AM

You would do better for yourself by promptly taking your truck to your reputable shop or Dodge dealer for such a critical oil pressure problem. Asking the forum to long distance diagnose your truck is not acting prudently, while you may damage your engine.

dodge man 07-24-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytop (Post 1157849)
You would do better for yourself by promptly taking your truck to your reputable shop or Dodge dealer for such a critical oil pressure problem. Asking the forum to long distance diagnose your truck is not acting prudently, while you may damage your engine.

That's a pretty good answer. Keep in mind, oil pressure is like heart beat in a person. If it get low and stays low, your engine will die.

To answer your question, the cheapest fix would be to replace the oil pump. If that doesn't fix it, its time for a rebuild.

Also keep in mind the oil pressure gauge isn't how you keep track of the oil level, the dipstick is for that. I you notice you oil pressure is low and that's when you add oil, that's way to late. Its kind of like using your smoke alarm as an oven timer, by the time it goes off, its too late.

Warlock III 07-24-2013 03:38 PM

I'm really having some difficulty reading the above posts.

Oil pressure is created in the main bearings/rod bearings. An oil pump distributes the oil throughout the top of the engine to supply the lifters and push rods.

What you are describing is engine wear or oil viscosity breakdown. You CAN increase your oil pressure without increasing volume of oil in the engine.

As your oil heats up it loses viscosity and breaks down (thins). Since your vehicle is no longer under warranty you can use 20w-50 (20 winter weight/50 summer/warm). The engine tolerances on your vehicle have increased and the clearances are increasing, so there should be an improvement. But that's a short term fix.

You CAN install a high volume oil pump to increase the amount of oil distributed throughout the engine for ease in moving the 20w-50.

The oil pan gasket has nothing to do with oil pressure, and I have no idea where "blow by" was even introduced into this topic as you CLEARLY indicated there was no oil usage, smoke, etc...

KxLexus and Huntergreen were leading you in the right direction and I'm not even going to dignify the other remarks with a reply. Although you may be able to get another 100,000 out of the engine at this point by replacing the rod and main bearings. While you're in there replace the oil pump (because it also supplies the bearing journals and if it goes bad you will lose oil pressure) and the gasket is a given since you're leaking anyway.

The bearings are a lot softer than the steel crank and although there may be some wear to the crank, it's not even going to be comparable to the wear on the bearings.

You can accomplish this amazing feat by yourself in one day by dropping the starter (for ease) and the pan without having to lift the engine or any other extensive preparation.

Pick up a Chilton's or Hayne's manual and hire a monkey. It's that simple.

Oh make sure the monkey has a torque wrench.

Acting prudently...it's not like he asked someone to sniff his finger over the internet, and what did it smell like. This is a simple mechanical question. Could it be the oil pressure switch? sure, but it's not.