DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   Bilstein 5100 install HELP! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148508)

StevieWonder 07-25-2013 07:07 PM

Bilstein 5100 install HELP!

Well i finally found some time to have a crack at installing my bilstein 5100 shocks into my truck. But after 3 hours of yelling and throwing hammers, im really stuck and could use some help/advice.

The part that i am stuck at is getting the stock strut apart so i can take it out and replace it with the bilstein. I bought a spring compressor and was able to compress the spring down just fine. My issue is that i cant for the life of me get off the small nut holding the strut rod together. Everything spins freely, and to me it feels like the nut itself is stripped out maby. In the end i was able to have the nut, rod and pretty much every damn piece loose and spinning freely, but nothing would give or come apart.

Sooo if anyone was might be able to help me out here I truly would like to get this figured out myself without having to cough up more money for getting a shop to do it for me.

Thanks!

gonefishin776 07-25-2013 07:28 PM

yaaaa had the same issue. get a set of through sockets.

if you've stripped it. ur pretty much screwed.
u have to take it somewhere to get the piston cut in half.
that's what I had to do

itshertruck 07-25-2013 09:59 PM

Is the chrome strut rod also spinning while trying to turn that nut? If so, you need to use an open end wrench and an allen/hex wrench. The allen/hex wrench will go in the top of the strut rod, while you use the open end wrench to turn the nut at the top. There isn't enough tension on the strut if you already compressed the spring prior to trying to loosen the strut nut. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. Took me WAY too long to figure that out when I did my Bilsteins.

Gantman 07-25-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itshertruck (Post 1159323)
Is the chrome strut rod also spinning while trying to turn that nut? If so, you need to use an open end wrench and an allen/hex wrench. The allen/hex wrench will go in the top of the strut rod, while you use the open end wrench to turn the nut at the top. There isn't enough tension on the strut if you already compressed the spring prior to trying to loosen the strut nut. Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. Took me WAY too long to figure that out when I did my Bilsteins.

I agree with itshertruck. I cranked very little tension on the spring to prevent any flying hazards, then loosened the spring bucket retaining nut while the spring maintained pressure on the rod and bucket from spinning. But if you stripped the retaining nut, nothing like a good ole die grinder to cut the piston rod. Just make sure you secure the spring as to prevent metal parts flying.

brandonjansen 07-25-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gantman (Post 1159345)
I agree with itshertruck. I cranked very little tension on the spring to prevent any flying hazards, then loosened the spring bucket retaining nut while the spring maintained pressure on the rod and bucket from spinning.

Yup this is exactly what I did. Spray it with a bunch of penetrating oil and let it soak for a while. It also helps to clean off the thread with a wire brush. Then use an impact gun to get the nut off. It should come apart no problem.

Cat Daddy 07-26-2013 12:27 AM

Yep there ya go I had to back off the spring compressor to put tension on the nut and plate came right off with my impact.....I feel your pain I had 2 try's to get mine installed first time fail I was making up new words for the way I was getting along with the strut

StevieWonder 07-26-2013 11:42 AM

ughh this sounds like this second attempt is ganna be hell. Thanks for all the advice guys. it might just come down to me cutting this bastard in half like some of you have said. Almost would be easier at this point lol.

Stupid design in my mind.

But if the nut is stripped though, can i replace it with any nut that size? Or does it have to be that same style?

At any rate Ill come back with the results lol

Cat Daddy 07-26-2013 12:24 PM

I will say this , go get a set of the through sockets you will need them when you go back with the Bilsteins , you will need a through socket and an allen wrench to reinstall , makes it so much easier...I want to say the nut is 3/4" not sure about the allen but I would get a long reach allen 3/8" drive and the install will be a piece of cake ....I would not think the nut is tripped just try to keep tention on it with the spring and the top plate and it will come off...I would think you could go bak with a grade 8 kinda lock nut should be able to get at Home Depot

Cat Daddy 07-26-2013 12:26 PM

sorry but ment to say the nut is not stripped

brandonjansen 07-26-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieWonder (Post 1159692)
ughh this sounds like this second attempt is ganna be hell. Thanks for all the advice guys. it might just come down to me cutting this bastard in half like some of you have said. Almost would be easier at this point lol.

Stupid design in my mind.

But if the nut is stripped though, can i replace it with any nut that size? Or does it have to be that same style?

At any rate Ill come back with the results lol

The Bilsteins come with new nuts. You shouldn't need to reuse the old ones at all.