DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Weird One. Vibe in front associated with Hot brakes. Caliper?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148571)

bparsel 07-26-2013 11:09 AM

Weird One. Vibe in front associated with Hot brakes. Caliper??

So, the past few nights on my drive home from work Ive encountered this issue. Only on the drive home when Im in more stop and go traffic.

After running stop and go from 0-55 for about 15 miles I have a few miles of zero-60- zero type of expressway driving as well. Once I get off the expressway Ive been getting this issue.

I will apply the brakes which work just fine, then release them and I will get a vibe and noise in the right front. Sounds like when you run your tire off the side of the road into the rumble strips...just not nearly that loud. When I lightly apply the brakes the sound and vibes go away......let off the brakes and it returns. This is all in the 5-20 mph range.

Truck has new pads, rotors, tie rods, struts, sway bar bushings, upper ball joints and upper control arms about 2k miles ago and the problem just started.

I'm thinking partially seized caliper when it gets hot??? Caliper heats up and only 1 piston is releasing fully...hence when I lightly apply the brakes it evens out the pads and makes the vibes and noise go away???? I wouldnt think a cock-eyed pad would cause that much vibe though.

No unusual wear pattern on the pads......any ideas or thoughts on this one?

Adamthc 07-26-2013 11:22 AM

sounds like warped rotor to me but you say you changed them eh..

bparsel 07-26-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adamthc (Post 1159728)
sounds like warped rotor to me but you say you changed them eh..

Correct, rotor is only about 6 wks old. I would suspect rotor as well if it did it all the time, but it's only when the brakes are really hot. And applying the brakes lightly makes it go away.

I should also note that I hit both sides of the brakes last night with my laser temp gauge when i pulled in the driveway.....nothing unusually hot in comparison to other components.

deanhinsley1963 07-26-2013 03:00 PM

I was thinking wheel bearing assembly myself. To check this take the caliper off and see how it turns or if it has slack. The caliper will hold the hub steady when brakes are applied then let the slack back in it when released.

bparsel 07-26-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanhinsley1963 (Post 1159882)
I was thinking wheel bearing assembly myself. To check this take the caliper off and see how it turns or if it has slack. The caliper will hold the hub steady when brakes are applied then let the slack back in it when released.

I suppose its possible. Ive never had a bad wheel bearing act like this before or with these type of symptoms though. I always get the constant growl/ vibe that changes with turning.

I'm going to tear apart the whole right front this wknd. I WILL figure it out.

Simple guy 07-26-2013 07:22 PM

I think you right and are having a problem with the piston returning. Have you ever had a brake fluid flush? or at least bled out the nasty stuff in the calipers? (fluid closest the caliper sometimes cooks and breaks down much faster than the rest of the fluid) I say do the procedure like you are bleeding the brakes of air and drain it into a clear bottle. if it's really dirty and full of sediment it may need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Tip: find a clear hose that fits onto the bleeder fitting and run it into your catch bottle.

bparsel 07-31-2013 02:28 PM

Solved

One of my biggest pet peeves about this forum is that hardly anyone ever goes back and finishes their threads with solutions etc. Drives me nuts!!

Anyways, found the culprit. It was my passenger side caliper seizing when it got over heated.

I pulled the caliper off and proceeded to pump the brakes. Only one piston came out - nothing unusual without an even load on them. I pushed the piston back in and blocked that piston with a socket wrench and went and pumped the brakes again. 2nd piston came up -again, nothing unusual. BUT, when I went to push the piston back into the caliper it wouldnt budge. I cranked on the clamp and never got it to move. That was enough to justify my hypothesis. Yanked the caliper off.....purchased new one....installed.....bled brakes.......and NO issues/ sounds/ vibrations now since Saturday morning.

HemiLonestar 07-31-2013 03:02 PM

Had this same problem, ended up rebuilding the caliper (my calipers are a bit more expensive than yours to purchase outright...)

RogerRamJet 07-31-2013 03:19 PM

Nice find, Dood! Reps for the find and the resolution post.

mb power wagon 08-02-2013 05:23 AM

rep deserved. now i know what to do if i come across this problem. thanks for the follow up.