DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   condenstation in passenger footwell when using AC (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148608)

mikoz 07-26-2013 07:54 PM

condenstation in passenger footwell when using AC

Hi,

I am sometimes getting water in the passenger front footwell on hot days with the AC on. I'm pretty sure it's condensation from the AC unit. Is there a tube that's potentially blocked that needs to be cleared?

thanks!

Simple guy 07-26-2013 10:25 PM

there is a tube on the passenger side firewall in the engine compartment behind where the a/c accumulator is mounted on my 03 ram. I would only assume the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree to your 09.

mikoz 07-27-2013 12:56 AM

Hi

Thanks.

I found the tube, what threw me for a loop is that it's mounted horizontally near the PCM.

I cleaned it and blew it out with compressed air but I think that there's another clue. The probe only happens when I'm driving over 70mph for a sustained period of time (in texas this isn't uncommon obviously). I would surmise that there's quite a but of air pressure preventing a good drainage as the air is pounding that line for hours. We is it not drained vertically? Can I just put on an elbow and an extension to get better drainage?

GTyankee 07-27-2013 01:08 AM

My '09 has not had that issue yet
i just drove from San Diego to El Paso
El Paso to Ft. Worth
Ft worth to Texarkana.
Now i am in Kentucky & heading towards Ohio tomorrow

i run my A/C just about every day that the temp hits 75
always have a puddle right under the Ram on the passenger side, near the firewall
i believe it drains out close to the door

mikoz 07-27-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 1160387)
My '09 has not had that issue yet
i just drove from San Diego to El Paso
El Paso to Ft. Worth
Ft worth to Texarkana.
Now i am in Kentucky & heading towards Ohio tomorrow

I've been reading about it other places and it seems common for people to install an elbow to resolve this.

In the Austin to Dallas corridor it's easy to sustain speeds of over 85mph, it really only happens at speeds over 70, or so I think.

As with any car, not everyone sees the same problems obviously.

GTyankee 07-27-2013 01:16 AM

In California, the highway speeds are 70mph, once you get out of the Metro areas
Arizona is 70 & 75
same with New Mexico & Texas, at least on most highways, but most of Texas is now 80 MPH

mikoz 07-27-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTyankee (Post 1160400)
In California, the highway speeds are 70mph, once you get out of the Metro areas
Arizona is 70 & 75
same with New Mexico & Texas, at least on most highways, but most of Texas is now 80 MPH

Hi

I think we are getting a little off topic here, lets just all agree that the speeds in the southern us are higher and the ac problem is perhaps a function of the speed and not every vehicle will have the same problem but certain design considerations can influence the probability of specific issues.

Simple guy 07-27-2013 10:12 PM

I'm not sure if the pressures are the problem because when your a/c is on you can feel the a/c blowing out of that tube. If the pressures in the engine bay is causing the problem the extension would have to extend to at least the bottom of the firewall. Possibly with a diagonal cut on the back end to create a pressure differential essentially causing a suction on the drain tube.

mikoz 07-29-2013 11:42 PM

I bought some reinforced 5/8" ID tubing at home depot and used a SS hose clamp and some zip-ties to extend the drain tube below the firewall. 10 minute change. Let's see how it holds up to the first "high speed" run...

Simple guy 07-30-2013 11:20 AM

I'm curious to know the out come.