DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   5.7L oil change questions. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148666)

CanuckShooter 07-27-2013 05:06 PM

5.7L oil change questions.

Hi, I just noticed the oil change gauge in my brand new 5.7L Sport 1500 says it needs changing....at 1200KM ??

So I open the manuals and read there is a special oil in there from the factory, but it doesn't say to change it out any faster than usual???

Then I turn to the pages that tell you what type and viscosity oil to use...and more confusion. 5.7l 1500 it says use 5-20, 5.7l 2500 it says use 5-30???

So here are the questions I could use some help with.

>what is the proper time to change out that 'special' oil from the factory?

>why would there be a difference in recommended viscosity between a 1500/2500 with the same motor???

>has anyone that has switched to full synthetic oil noticed any mileage improvements?? I'm leaning towards synthetic due to the extreme cold temps we get here in the winter. [easier starts]

Thanks for any help you can provide. :-)

Asur 07-27-2013 05:20 PM

The great oil debate, must be 100 threads about this.

First question about special oil, the truck has sensors and determines the time you should be changing your oil, ie Length of time the oil had been in the truck, how you drive your truck, its present viscosity, etc, etc. If it says change it, I would since its the oil from the factory and it has some cleaners in it.

Once you change it, reset your oil change indicator and you should be good for another 6 months or 8000 miles which ever comes first. but you can change it whenever you want or depending on the oil you use when it should be due.

the Ram 2500 does not have mds, ram 1500 with mds oil specifications for it to run properly is 5w-20. This has been a big debate, I have a thread just on this and at the end of the day its been decided to do what the manufacture recommends. and that is 5w-20

Full Synthetic or Dino oil, this has been the great debate also and you will notice that most members here at the site that want to keep there trucks for more than the 3 year lease or purchase to own type member are running Full synthetic. Some run Amsoil, some royal purple, some pensoil ultra, some mobile, and that is another great debate, one conscious about all this oil stuff is don't use a fram oil filter

Also, if you do your oil yourself, or have someone do it, and its your first oil change, make sure they or you check that the oil filter gasket came off with the old filter. More than one has made that mistake and lost there oil the first 30 feet of pulling out from the dealer, there driveway, the lube dude. JMO

huntergreen 07-27-2013 05:37 PM

there is no correct answer that i know of for the first change. i did mine at 3000 miles and used penzoil ultra. i now use mopar filters. i use 5-20 as called for in the book as any heavier oil will play havoc with the mds. 2500 hemi dosn't have mds which is why it can use a heavier oil.

shawnu 07-27-2013 05:47 PM

I use Mobil1 full syn and Mopar filters.

If I'm correct because I'm not knowledgeable about 2500 hemi, would the heavier oil be because its an HD truck and would be put more strain on it hauling heavier loads, or should the half ton REALLY use 5w30 too but can't because the MDS so they settle for 5w20. Just a thought that's crossed my mind before.

CanuckShooter 07-27-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1160814)
there is no correct answer that i know of for the first change. i did mine at 3000 miles and used penzoil ultra. i now use mopar filters. i use 5-20 as called for in the book as any heavier oil will play havoc with the mds. 2500 hemi dosn't have mds which is why it can use a heavier oil.

Thanks guys, that has it answered for me.....5-20 it is. :smileup:

CanuckShooter 07-27-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnu (Post 1160823)
I use Mobil1 full syn and Mopar filters.

If I'm correct because I'm not knowledgeable about 2500 hemi, would the heavier oil be because its an HD truck and would be put more strain on it hauling heavier loads, or should the half ton REALLY use 5w30 too but can't because the MDS so they settle for 5w20. Just a thought that's crossed my mind before.

I am curious if you noticed any differences with full syn?? Mileage improvements>cold starts?

Sometimes we have -40C where I live and in my old trucks, always on dino, they ground pretty good starting up.....

Asur 07-27-2013 07:40 PM

Our winters here hit that some days, -40, I use full synthetic and they start up with no issues in winter.

shawnu 07-27-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanuckShooter (Post 1160833)
I am curious if you noticed any differences with full syn?? Mileage improvements>cold starts?

Sometimes we have -40C where I live and in my old trucks, always on dino, they ground pretty good starting up.....

I couldn't tell you since ive used it since my first oil change and first vehicle I've used full syn in.

hortence222222 07-27-2013 11:48 PM

If it says "Change it" then I'd change it. I use Penzoil Platinum and Mopar filters and change it at dino oil intervals. You can pick it up at Cdn Tire or Walmart on sale for $26 for a 5 liter jug. HTH