DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Computer Glitch Or What? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148688)

Raptor 07-27-2013 09:40 PM

Computer Glitch Or What?

While pulling a 28 foot travel trailer for the first time I noticed that the L/100K went screwy, fluctuating from 20 to 35L per 100K and sometimes even beyond 80L/100K)

Also, My DTE which should have been near 800 Km registered only 440. We ran through some very heavy rain showers, but I can't see how that would cause any problems.

Everything else is working fine, fuel guage seems accurate, but I am concerned that this may be the beginning of a sensor issue or some other mysterious computer giltch.

I will book an appointment with my Ram dealer, but in the meantime has anyone had any problems of this sort?

Tks,

Rap

huntergreen 07-27-2013 10:06 PM

how was the truck running while this went on.

Raptor 07-27-2013 10:13 PM

Truck was running fine.

It was a very windy day and raining hard but the Ram handles the trailer easily. Had I set the info centre set to anything but FUEL ECONONY I would not have noticed anything.

ohmyram 07-28-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor (Post 1160987)
While pulling a 28 foot travel trailer for the first time I noticed that the L/100K went screwy, fluctuating from 20 to 35L per 100K and sometimes even beyond 80L/100K)

Also, My DTE which should have been near 800 Km registered only 440. We ran through some very heavy rain showers, but I can't see how that would cause any problems.

This sounds normal to me especially when you are towing. The DTE is calculated based on the L/100K the truck is averaging. This will increase especially when towing. I have a 30' travel trailer which weighs about 7000lbs. While towing, my DTE will be very close to what your truck was showing and L/100KM can fluctuate between 25 - 35L/100Km depending on head wind, hills, etc... If I am pushing it hard up a hill, it climbs REAL high!

Once I have been driving for awhile NOT towing, the DTE will climb back up to normal range.

Raptor 07-28-2013 02:13 PM

Thanks. I did notice last night that the DTE was increasing as I drove. We just bought the trailer and this was the maiden voyage towing it.

I suspect you are prob'ly correct since the truck ran very well. Our trailer must weigh close to the same as yours, but that 5.7 pulls like Jack the Bear.

ohmyram 07-28-2013 03:17 PM

You are correct that the 5.7 pulls like a champ! :smileup: No shortage of power but it sure does like to drink fuel while doing so!

huntergreen 07-28-2013 11:42 PM

what mpg were getting pulling those campers?

ohmyram 07-29-2013 05:36 PM

I just came back from a 2200 mile vacation and averaged 7-9 MPG. Not wonderful but kind of what I expected.
I would typically drive at 65mph. Winds were decent most days and it was on fairly flat terrain.

I have 3.92 gears so with the hemi, there is no shortage of power up hills or if I need to pull out and pass. It's just a little thirsty though...

That might explain why my exhaust pipe was BLACK on the outside of it for about 1" around the whole pipe. I also had carbon on my bumper. I took it in but "It's Normal"!! I didn't know a Hemi was a diesel in disguise...

huntergreen 07-29-2013 09:28 PM

i wonder if the catch cans would reduce the carbon build up on the tail pipe. i can't explain the build up, but it is considered normal by chrysler. i am hoping the inside of the engine is staying clean.

ONOutdoorsman 07-29-2013 09:50 PM

Averaged 10 mpg during my last trip down to the Smoky Mountains a few weeks ago. Can't complain as it gets pretty hilly south of Cincinnati. Pulled it again this past weekend, but locally and only about 30 mins each way. Very flat around here. Was getting 15mpg on the EVIC cruising at 65mph at 17% throttle. Very impressed. Trailer is 6200lbs dry. No need for a diesel.