DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   PRO's & CON's of Wheel spacers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148763)

HULK 07-28-2013 05:08 PM

PRO's & CON's of Wheel spacers

MY local 4 wheel shop told me that they don't recommend using wheel spacers. Also they wouldn't put them on for me if I wanted them too anyways.

So whats the problem with Wheel spacers? If I am doing some serious mudding or mild rock crawling are there any disadvantages of having them?

WHats the wear and tear on them?

I have the Adjustable Bilistien level shocks on my truck looks and feels great. Just running a smaller tire right now. I want to run a 35 with my stock 20" but not sure about wheel spacers. OR if I even need them. But also thinking about running a 17" wheel just to get a little more Rubber.

Any inputs on the Wheel spacers or my idea of running a smaller wheel?

TRCM 07-28-2013 06:54 PM

1) depending on the style of spacer, they could require longer wheel studs
2) they change the location of the weight outside the balljoints (move the tire farther away) which increases wear on the suspension & steering systems from the added leverage
3) they can lead to scrubbing of the front tire while turning because the tire is farther away for the actual pivot point of the steering system
4) can allow the wheel to become off center in relation to the hub

Just a few things to consider.......

Grubrunner 07-28-2013 06:57 PM

What was your local shop's input on why they wouldn't recommend them?

browndawg 07-28-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1161615)

hey grub is that kurt Russell off the movie backdraft in your sig lol

Grubrunner 07-28-2013 08:24 PM

No, I don't believe so.

I'm a member of a firefighter's forum and I just borrowed another member's gif.

browndawg 07-28-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1161663)
No, I don't believe so.

I'm a member of a firefighter's forum and I just borrowed another member's gif.

have you ever seen that movie, I swear its a scene out of it anyways great movie, sorry to op for slightly highjacking the thread, carry on.

Grubrunner 07-28-2013 11:36 PM

Yes I've seen it.

Too many times.

Still enjoy it.

HULK 07-29-2013 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1161615)

Local shop says that "its not safe up to their standards" Also it creates bad wear and tear on the suspension and then they cant warranty the lift parts. But the main thing he said was the safety. Because he has had customers do it after the fact of his work, and they have come in with wheels falling off and cracked steering arms and stuff...

I dont want to do it if I dont have to.

HULK 07-29-2013 04:23 AM

hey TRCM- Would I need a wheel spacer for the front wheels if I run a 35 on the stock wheel?

gonefishin776 07-29-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HULK (Post 1162024)
hey TRCM- Would I need a wheel spacer for the front wheels if I run a 35 on the stock wheel?

yes most likely. the issue is the width of a 35"
tire. not the height. if you get a tire like my federals, they run like 11" not 12.5" so u wouldn't need a spacer probably. now nitto trail graps that run OVER 12.5" you would def need a spacer.

I'd save up and get a set of offset wheels. they look better and allow you to run wider tires without a spacer. but if u have to run ur stock wheels. have the shop install them and deal with rubbing until u get home and put the spacers on yourself