DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   K&N drop-in AIR FILTER? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148897)

pld 07-29-2013 09:57 PM

K&N drop-in AIR FILTER?

what do you guy's think and is it true from some test that k&n let's alot of dust into the motor? Recommendations? Thank's.:smileup:

maw76 07-29-2013 10:15 PM

As long as she's oiled up you'll be fine, never had any issues ever with dealer warranty work with k&n drop in on all my Chrysler vehicles

2000 tj 240k miles
2006 gr caravan 100k miles and still running like new
2007 jk 100k miles traded in for ram
Never an issue and all three had engine repairs and not a single boo about the k&n drop in ever.

RogerRamJet 07-29-2013 11:20 PM

You'll always have nay sayers for any product and they can come up with fabricated data and tests. Just like some folks that bash Royal Purple, one of the best, if not the best synthetics on the market, IMHO. I've been running a K&N drop in for over 2 years now and love it. CAI doesn't get me excited, well, neither does the K&N, but I figure I'd spend the CAI buck on a better bang. Can't go wrong the the K&N drop in. Just remember to clean it at least twice a year.

RamJay 07-30-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld (Post 1162838)
what do you guy's think and is it true from some test that k&n let's alot of dust into the motor? Recommendations? Thank's.:smileup:

I have read some of those test results and they do make you wonder if the k&n is worth putting in,I had one in my Avalanche.If you drive in dusty conditions like dirt roads a lot you might want to think twice about it.The stock filters do a better job of filtering out the dust because the pores are smaller and oem's have improved their air box design to protect against potential warranty claims and allow more efficiency.

0321Devildog 07-30-2013 07:44 AM

I've used K&N filters for the past 20 years in every vehicle I've owned, even in my wife's '04 Jetta. No problems what so ever and in every vehicle I've gained at least .5 MPG better mileage. I love them.

Devildog

dodge man 07-30-2013 09:06 AM

I read a pretty extensive test on air filters. I wish I had bookmarked it, but it was a diesel related forum I saw the test on, but I think it was a link to a VW forum or something like that. It was a pretty well done test where the can actually measure the amount of restriction and the amount of dust that was let through the filter. The truth is the K&N didn't perform well. Also the statement they make the dirtier it gets, the better it filters wasn't true. I switched the filter out on my K&N CAI on my Challenger to an AFE. The AFE performed better but it still wasn't as good as a factory setup.

There are also a lot of tests on the performance gain. Depending on what you read, the gain is small to nil.

Goggle this stuff and you will find a lot of reading.

gcscott 07-30-2013 09:14 AM

If you stay with a paper filter there is no guesswork and that is why the factory's install paper filters. Not cost and they work very well keeping the dirt out.

If you go to a K&N filter you have to get the oil just right to have it perform correctly. You will lose performance (to much oil) or you get to much dirt getting past the filter (to little oil). Paper filters just work.

I have found that there is very little gain, if any, over paper filters unless you live in a dusty area and need to clean your filter often. JMO.

Your butt dino or bragging rights my be different.

Greg

pld 07-30-2013 07:57 PM

I'm going to stick with the stock paper filter, sounds like it's not worth the hassle and worry for more dust in the motor. Thank's:smiley_thumbs_up:

Thunderhorse 07-30-2013 08:11 PM

I thought about a CAI or a K&N when I first bought my truck since my dad has the K&N drop in in his '09. Then I looked at the stock air box and told myself "if I keep the stock filter and also don't get the seat covers I had planned on, I can use the money I save for a new Sig!" So I decided to get the handgun instead.

ValleyRacer 08-01-2013 04:48 AM

Where do you come up with this stuff????

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld (Post 1162838)

You do understand MILLIONS of people (me included) have KN filters on cars, trucks, motorcycles, RV's, boats, drag cars etc etc. Do you think those people are all idiots? Clueless, bamboozled?

KN have been around 30 years with a continuous profile of development, new products, upgrades, fitment, applications etc

Show me a "paper filter" outfit that comes close to that.

Where did you find (exact quote) ""Let's a lof of dust into the motor"

Utterly amazing.