DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Stacked leveling kits? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148937)

CraigDG1029 07-30-2013 10:49 AM

Stacked leveling kits?

I would like to start out by saying I believe this is a terrible idea. But my
Mechanic who is a family friend of over 30 years and a very knowledgeable guy, overheard me talking about how I'm not a fan of the rake on my truck. It's got 2" blocks in the back and a 2.5" coil spring spacer kit up front. He suggested I get a 1" bottom coil spring spacer to add on to level the truck out some more. I think it's a terrible idea and I'd be better off buying 2500 coil springs and shocks and adding a 1" level to that. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the front up to 3" or 3.5" total without having to buy an entirely new lift kit?

Crux420 07-30-2013 10:56 AM

Anything over 2.5" of lift will start to cause excessive wear on your cv's, ball joints, etc. if your wanting more than the 2.5" your probably gonna have to go with either a proper lift kit or you can look into a small body lift. Personally if you don't like the rake now I'd try removing the rear block, see if it improves the stance and if you still want more height then try the body lift. Hope this helps, good luck

dodge.ram 07-30-2013 03:41 PM

I've been running that exact set up for 2 years never had a problem.

CraigDG1029 07-30-2013 06:41 PM

you have been running a 2.5" and a 1" combined (top and bottom) on your truck?

gonefishin776 07-30-2013 07:38 PM

i suggest save up and do it right. not jerry-rigging kits together. Your truck will thank you for it in the long run.

not many people suggest combining kits like that.

EXPRESS25C 07-30-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1163584)
i suggest save up and do it right. not jerry-rigging kits together. Your truck will thank you for it in the long run.

not many people suggest combining kits like that.

I agree totally. :smileup:

huntergreen 07-30-2013 08:45 PM

not something i would do with my jeep, so i wouldn't do it on my truck. costs more but a proper lift kit will save some components and help the truck handle close to stock, depending on how high you go.

dodge.ram 07-30-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigDG1029 (Post 1163546)
you have been running a 2.5" and a 1" combined (top and bottom) on your truck?

Sorry read your post fast- I'm running a 2" top and a 1" bottom spacer.

People get scared about this kind of thing but think about it- if guys will put a 3" top spacer in why is it any more risk to put a 2" top and 1" bottom?

To me it would seem safer because at least on my 2wd truck the top spacer pushes the spring further down out of the upper coil spring bucket- more chance for it to fly out?

Of course the whole idea of a 3" spacer is not the best for your truck in general because of ball joint angles ect. but I don't see a safety issue there.