DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Shifter (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148971)

JWM59 07-30-2013 06:59 PM

Shifter

Does anyone know if the center console shifter will still be available or are they just going with the rotary knob?

Thunderhorse 07-30-2013 07:46 PM

That will depend on the transmission. The rotary shifter will be on 8 speeds, column or console shifter on 6 speeds.

Ramona2012 07-30-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse (Post 1163598)
That will depend on the transmission. The rotary shifter will be on 8 speeds, column or console shifter on 6 speeds.

Hopefully, there will be an aftermarket kit to install a console shifter and parallel wire it to the rotary switch.

skytop 07-30-2013 10:15 PM

Hope Dodge wakes up and puts steering wheel paddle shifters on board. That's the best.
Putting a shifter on the floor is just a clumsy interference. Having the open console is a great improvement.

Thunderhorse 07-30-2013 11:11 PM

I agree, the console shifter was unnecessarily large and goofy

JWM59 07-31-2013 05:18 AM

The shifter was actually the selling point for me. I think it looks totally BAD ASS! Very comfortable driving with my hand resting on it and my wrist when using radio and comfort controls. I want to feel like I am driving a truck not a Prius. First saw center shifter in Fords and hoped Dodge would do it. Hope they make it an option because it would be a deal breaker for me. Guess I'm just old school.

huntergreen 07-31-2013 11:50 AM

i like my shifter on my console.

barryhanna 08-01-2013 11:47 PM

Console shifter is best for the tranny, knob is best for granny.

skytop 08-05-2013 10:54 AM

I test drove a '13 yesterday which still had the old 6 speed. The shifter is not only too large and prevents use of the console, but the shifter is clumsy and cantankerous to use. Very unfriendly design.

Dodge was smart to get rid of it on the console. Anyone who thinks the big shifter is better is a certified obsolete, old school thinker.

Ramona2012 08-05-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skytop (Post 1168231)
I test drove a '13 yesterday which still had the old 6 speed. The shifter is not only too large and prevents use of the console, but the shifter is clumsy and cantankerous to use. Very unfriendly design.

Dodge was smart to get rid of it on the console. Anyone who thinks the big shifter is better is a certified obsolete, old school thinker.

I won't deny that I am obsolete and old school, but having to fully extend your arm to reach the selector is not ergonomically natural. My bet is that the center console shifter on the 8-speed returns within 2 years, if for no other reason than the obsolete and old school people are the ones who have the money to buy $50K+ trucks.