DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tonneau cover increase mpg? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=148994)

pstreifel 07-31-2013 12:44 AM

Tonneau cover increase mpg?

So I already bought a cover so I'm not interested in what is the best. What I am interested in is, has anyone noticed an increase in MPG with any kind of cover? I'm sure everyone has seen the claims of an increase and I was wondering if it was true.

Thank you!

huntergreen 07-31-2013 12:50 AM

to my knowledge and mythbusters, no increase in mpg. i have read that the way our trucks are designed, the air goes over the bed. in my younger days,the mis seventies, i tried taking my tailgate off and my mpg went down a bit.

pstreifel 07-31-2013 02:12 AM

I did watch that episode although this isn't the main reason I bought my cover I would be happy even if I was only .5 or so mpg haha!

RedSmart 07-31-2013 02:32 AM

Well I think that the best cover you can get for your truck is.........hahahahahaha, just messing with you!

I don't really know if I've seen an improvement or not?

There are so many variables that have to take place to prove or disprove the effectiveness of a cover, that I just can't be bother to test them out.

The cover for me was about being able to put stuff in the bed, without it being easily ripped off........plus I think they just look cool! LOL......

Crxwolski 07-31-2013 04:20 AM

I have one to stop the truck being push bad by cross winds. I does help on thoses.

Hermes1 07-31-2013 11:11 AM

At best maybe .5 mpg if anything. You have to consider that while a tonneau cover may possibly create better aerodynamics, it also adds weight to the truck which tends to reduce mpg. The only consideration for purchasing a tonneau cover is need for one.

RLM5150 07-31-2013 11:43 AM

I only had my truck for 4 weeks before getting the cover and installing it. May not be enough time to tell but I did go through 4 tanks of fuel in that time and no change in mileage was noted.

anothernewb 07-31-2013 11:54 AM

In my experience tire tread designs/sizes and types have a more dramatic impact on mileage than a tonneau does.
my 06 GMC with a tonneau got within 1mpg of my buddies 1999 without one for nearly 70,000 miles. Generally though, I was a few decimal points higher than him. That might have entirely due to the fact that I had highway tires, and he had LT tires.

However - keeping stuff in the bed dry when you drive in the rain is worth it.

gonefishin776 07-31-2013 12:12 PM

the additional weight will offset any improvements in aerodynamics. as stated: only get a cover on the basis of needing one for practical purposes. not for MPG gain

Grubrunner 07-31-2013 12:19 PM

It's six of one, one-half dozen the other.

I personally have never believed that a bed cover assists in MPG to make any noticeable difference during normal ownership. Now if you're the type to run it to the ground, the you may reap the MPG gains.

Like mentioned, purchase a bed cover for their functionality purposes as opposed to fuel saving reasons.