DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   If regular water is bad for cooling system should I flush with garden hose? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149032)

hriczko806 07-31-2013 02:45 PM

If regular water is bad for cooling system should I flush with garden hose?

Im flushing my coolant this weekend and have a few questions to clear up. I already bought the coolant, mopar MS-9769 coolant, and will make that a 50/50 mix with distilled water.

Basic steps:

1. drain radiator then tighten drain plug back up
2. take out thermostat and reinstall housing
3. take lower radiator hose and put into bucket
4. start car and turn on heat full blast
5. put garden hose in radiator and flush system till it comes out clear
6. Once clear shut down engine, install thermostat, tighten everything back up and fill w/ 50/50 mix
7. Start engine, keep heat on full blast and radiator cap off to bleed system and fill as needed.
8. Done

My concern is the garden hose. I was told not to use regular water in the cooling system, so shouldn't I avoid the garden hose?

My idea is to just buy a ton of distilled water and pour that in the radiator instead to flush it.

what are everyone's thoughts on this?

hydrex 07-31-2013 03:31 PM

If you go to Walmart, in the camper section, they sell a blue filter that screws on a garden hose. That does a darned good job filtering out contamination from hard water.

Gantman 07-31-2013 03:44 PM

And if you have a water softener to your house, that would work fine. Or the ole distilled water works good too.

Simple guy 07-31-2013 03:56 PM

you'll be fine flushing with a garden hose. there will not be enough time for minerals to collect and corrode parts, like boiling water in a pot.. boil too long a film of mineral deposits appears... Just make sure all the garden hose water is fully drained. pouring water into the radiator with the lower hose off will only drain straight down through the end cap and onto your feet.

just don't run the engine too long because plain water doesn't have the lubricant for the pump.

having the heat on full blast does nothing besides letting you know some water has made it to the heater core. your climate control knobs DO NOT affect the flow to the heater core.

Hermes1 07-31-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple guy (Post 1164315)
you'll be fine flushing with a garden hose. there will not be enough time for minerals to collect and corrode parts, like boiling water in a pot.. boil too long a film of mineral deposits appears... Just make sure all the garden hose water is fully drained. pouring water into the radiator with the lower hose off will only drain straight down through the end cap and onto your feet.

just don't run the engine too long because plain water doesn't have the lubricant for the pump.

having the heat on full blast does nothing besides letting you know some water has made it to the heater core. your climate control knobs DO NOT affect the flow to the heater core.

Nailed it and good info. In the past I have used the garden hose to flush the system without any problems.

Simple guy 07-31-2013 09:34 PM

I just flushed mine 2 days ago with the garden hose. :)

mb power wagon 08-01-2013 11:02 AM

if your flushing the engine and your pulling the t-stat put the hose into where the t-stat goes into the engine. if your pulling the lower rad hose put it back on and fill the engine but leave the drain tap on the rad open there is no need to run the engine. but you can if you like. but like simpleguy said don't run it long. the water don't have the pump lubrication. after you get clear water running out of the rad drain tap pull the lower rad hose and check to see if any debris is in the water. after your satisfied the engine is flushed.

try back flushing the rad. that is where most build up happens and reduces cooling.
don't forget to back flush the heater core as well. i back flushed my rad 4 months ago and i was amazed how much came out of the heater core and how much more heat i got out of the heater core. it dramatically dropped my engine running temp as well. also like simpleguy said regular water is fine for flushing. just not for mixing with coolant. distilled water is needed for the 50/50 mix your gonna use. i prefer to run 60/40 mix but i also get colder temps in winter where i am.

hriczko806 08-01-2013 02:59 PM

Thats good to know. I didnt know that coolant flows through the heater core even when the heat is off.

So if I use the garden hose Ill spray through the thermostat housing. Ill get one of those filters from wal mart too.

The small amount of tap water wont harm the engine down the road? Im assuming the hose water will remain in the block. Does anyone know how much the block holds by itself?

Also, I will definitely back flush the radiator and heater core. I have 88K miles so Im sure that theres some sediment in there.

mb power wagon 08-01-2013 08:24 PM

the only way the tap water would hurt the cooling system is when it heats up. simpleguy was right when he said the minerals from tap water will cause deposits inside the cooling system. but if your just flushing the cooling system it will be fine. the block don't hold too much. not enough that it will hurt anything if there is still alittle bit in the block after your done. and yea coolant always flows through the heater core. it's just the blend doors that direct air through the heater core or a/c core or just outside air. if you have the a/c on and the truck running grab one of the heater hoses it will be hot if the engine is hot. if your worried about leaving any tap water in the block, get 2 extra gallons of distilled water and with all the hoses back on put both gallons in the rad and run the engine for a min or two. than drain the rad again and your good. but i wouldn't worry about the little bit left in the block if there is any at all. i'm thinking the engine might hold about 2 gallons. but i could be wrong.

hriczko806 08-02-2013 07:57 AM

Ok sounds good. I'm hopefully going to tackle this tomorrow morning so ill use the garden hose, back flush everything, then fill with the 50/50 mix and distiller water.

Any tips for back flushing the radiator and heater core?