DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Oil filter size???? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149044)

RekTek 07-31-2013 07:09 PM

Oil filter size????

So pretty frustrating and basic problem. I'm doing the first oil change on the 13 sport. I looked up which filter before I left and confirmed it at the store. The Mobil1 size is supposed to be the M1-210. Just looked at the factory installed filter and its definitely a lot smaller. So which filter do I need? Really confused since both the Mobil 1 site and the store computer came back with this one for the v8 hemi. Unless theres another filter for somethng else that looks exactly like an oil filter. when looking at the front of the truck it's on the left about 3 feet back. Thanks for any help!

2010renegade 07-31-2013 08:03 PM

From what I heard if you have the 5.7 with the 8 speed trans, it calls for a different oil filter, have yet to find the Mopar part number for the oil filter with the 5.7 & 8 speed trans, dealer has no clue either. Going to look at my oil filter on my truck, hope it has the part number printed on it.

RekTek 07-31-2013 08:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. I do have the 5.7 but its the 6 speed

2010renegade 07-31-2013 08:19 PM

I just looked at my Ram with the 5.7 & 8 speed, it has a Mopar oil filter part#04884899AB, cross reference Mobil 1 M1-210 oil filter per the Mobil 1 web site.

2010renegade 07-31-2013 08:34 PM

Found this cross reference chart for the Mopar 4884899AB.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference....SLER/4884899AB

RekTek 07-31-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010renegade (Post 1164458)
I just looked at my Ram with the 5.7 & 8 speed, it has a Mopar oil filter part#04884899AB, cross reference Mobil 1 M1-210 oil filter per the Mobil 1 web site.

Very strange. The existing filter from the factory is half the size of the Mobil 1 m1-210. I'm perplexed

AirborneSilva 07-31-2013 09:04 PM

I always buy the NAPA Gold oil filters, I had bought one for my 2011 Ram and was waiting for the change oil light/warning to come on, well I decided to trade it before that happened. I changed my oil last week for the first time, even though it had just under 1K miles on it, and used the filter that I had bought for the 11, it fit no problem and was probably close to three times the size :SHOCKED: just had to add extra oil is all, glad I ordered extra :smileup:

GEOPYR8 08-01-2013 01:10 AM

I have the 5.7 with the 6 speed also. I checked out the oil filter the other day and could not believe how small it is. Looks like it should be on a little 4 cylinder engine. Shoot the one on my bike is even larger. Guess I'll go with a bigger one this change also. Thanks for the info on parts numbers, it should help a lot.

ValleyRacer 08-01-2013 05:36 AM

Oil filter is like;y to be the oil filter under there!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RekTek (Post 1164409)
So pretty frustrating and basic problem. I'm doing the first oil change on the 13 sport. I looked up which filter before I left and confirmed it at the store. The Mobil1 size is supposed to be the M1-210. Just looked at the factory installed filter and its definitely a lot smaller. So which filter do I need? Really confused since both the Mobil 1 site and the store computer came back with this one for the v8 hemi. Unless theres another filter for somethng else that looks exactly like an oil filter. when looking at the front of the truck it's on the left about 3 feet back. Thanks for any help!

There isn't anything else under the truck to be confused with the oil filter. In determining which oil filter will fit, use the larger size aftermarket M1-201, the smaller OEM filter is for oil factory fill and break in and engine break in.
You'll find the Mobil 1 oil filters with synthetic media work really well. ANY - absolutely ANY of the modern synthetic oils are fully adequate. Don't get into the "circular chase" of which is "best" - do a synthetic change every 7-10 K miles and your engine will last a long time.

RekTek 08-04-2013 12:55 PM

Thanks for all the input. I'm waiting till my days off to try out this Mobil 1. I've seen a lot of filters of different lengths but this one is much wider and looks like it will literally hang over the edges. The factory one looks to be close to the edge of where the seal seats already. I just don't see how this larger diameter filter will fit since it seems like the actual o-ring wont even make contact around the edges.