DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Puddle lights (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149181)

2011RamCC 08-02-2013 12:54 AM

Puddle lights

Those little lights under the side view mirrors, is it unusual for those to stop working? The driver's side on my truck doesn't work any more. Are these difficult to replace?

Asur 08-02-2013 08:38 AM

I have read that the older models had issues with these LED units, go see your dealer it should be under warranty. They will probably tell you that they will replace the whole mirror, but I also read here "somewhere I can't locate it" that they can replace only the unit, but again, your truck is still under warranty, I would just go get it replaced. Call them before hand so they can have the parts handy.

2011RamCC 08-02-2013 12:32 PM

OK, will do, and thanks.

Huntsvillian 08-02-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011RamCC (Post 1165660)
Those little lights under the side view mirrors, is it unusual for those to stop working? The driver's side on my truck doesn't work any more. Are these difficult to replace?

Check out this thread:

http://www.ramforumz.com//showthread.php?t=148495

I just had mine replaced under warranty on a 2012, they replaced the whole mirror, but you can buy just the puddle light and there are links in that thread showing you how.

BlueX6 08-02-2013 06:22 PM

Had both of mine replaced a year ago on warranty. Right side lamp part # 68087238-AA and left is 68087239-AA.

huntergreen 08-03-2013 12:42 AM

sounds expensive if you are out of warranty.

2011RamCC 08-03-2013 02:47 PM

Unfortunately, I am out of warranty.

dodgert 08-03-2013 02:50 PM

they are a bitch to get out hence why i painted mine black how are you out of warranty i have a 2011 and im still under warranty

Asur 08-03-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dodgert (Post 1166731)
they are a bitch to get out hence why i painted mine black how are you out of warranty i have a 2011 and im still under warranty

Must be a millage thing, ya I agree they must not be easy to replace, would like to know the procedure at some point, I am guessing mine will do the same at some point also.

dodgert 08-03-2013 02:55 PM

NOTE: The Light Emitting Diode (LED) units and printed circuit board for these lamps are serviced only as a unit with the lamp and lens assembly. If any part of these lamps is damaged or ineffective, the entire lamp assembly must be replaced.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the mirror glass and case from the mirror housing (1).
3. Remove the three screws (2) that secure the front cover of the mirror to the mirror housing.
4. Locate the latch tab (4) on the lamp housing (3) within the lower, outboard side of the mirror housing.
5. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, pry gently and evenly at the parting line on the outboard side of the mirror between the mirror housing (1) and the front cover to separate them far enough to disengage the lamp rear flange (5) from the lower rim of the mirror housing.
6. It may be necessary on some vehicles to gently pry between the forward flange of the lamp housing and the mirror front cover to release the strip of adhesive-backed foam weather seal (4) affixed to the forward flange of the lamp from the inside edge of the mirror front cover.
7. Reach inside the lamp housing and depress the latch on the lamp housing toward the vehicle to disengage and lower the lamp assembly from between the mirror housing and the front cover.
8. Pull the lamp assembly away from the mirror housing far enough to access and disconnect the mirror wire harness connector (3) from the lamp connector receptacle and remove the lamp