DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2011 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=117)
-   -   Fuel Pump Fail (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149211)

P Rod 08-02-2013 03:48 PM

Fuel Pump Fail

Well after 26 months and 37,000 miles of pure enjoyment of my Ram, No problems,no complaints.... The first indication something was wrong was about a week earlier, the fuel gauge was acting a little weird, fluctuating on ocassion.... Then It happened. Truck Shut down, DEAD! while making a turn at an intersection. Luckly I was able to roll out of traffic into a gas station. No warning lights, buzzers, nuthin. After trying to restart a few times had to call the tow truck.
Had it towed to the local dealer, he said he will check it out. "37,000 is 1 thousand out of warranty", so he say's. Now I gettig pissed. After dropping the fuel tank they found that the Fuel pump module had "come apart"??? and of course he had never seen that before.
It was replaced under Emissions Warranty. so no cost to me.

I have done a little research and found this has happend to others.

My advice to anyone with a gas gauge acting weird, Take it in and get it checked out. It maybe a prelude to a module failure.

Thanks

huntergreen 08-02-2013 11:45 PM

my guess is that until pump comes apart they won't touch it. glad it worked out for you, but why would a fuel pup be covered under emissions warranty?

P Rod 08-03-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1166467)
my guess is that until pump comes apart they won't touch it. glad it worked out for you, but why would a fuel pup be covered under emissions warranty?

The service manager said fuel system falls under emissions warranty. Not sure if it is just a California thing but I wasn't going to argue. But I do agree that until your trucks stops working they won't do much about it. But it is something you might want to get checked out before your warranty is up. I would sure hate to see a fellow Rammer get stuck.

huntergreen 08-04-2013 10:54 AM

p-rod, how often did you let your gas tank get really low. i try not to go much below 1/4 tank as the gas keeps the pump cool. i have been hoping this helps keep the fuel pump from failing, what say you.

P Rod 08-05-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1167281)
p-rod, how often did you let your gas tank get really low. i try not to go much below 1/4 tank as the gas keeps the pump cool. i have been hoping this helps keep the fuel pump from failing, what say you.

Hunter, I would say I am like the average owner and wait till my tank gets down to 1/8th or so. I would sure hate to think thats why my fuel pump came apart, because if it was then I would think it would be happening alot more.

KingofDomain 08-19-2013 12:59 PM

Just my opinion, my fuel tank never gets below 1/2 a tank. Had an '03 with a fuel pump problem, they told me it was because I let the tank get low on fuel not enough to cool the pump. Never again......

huntergreen 08-19-2013 06:22 PM

guess there is no way to know if running your gas low hurts the pump.