DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Dana 60 for offroad applications (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149314)

Danz51 08-03-2013 08:36 PM

Dana 60 for offroad applications

As my info bar says I've got a 95 dodge Ram. It has the 9.25 Chrysler rear axle, but I'd like to replace it with a Dana 60. All of the Dana 60's I can find are eight lug. Before I take the red pill and buy one is there a way to make them five lug like my old 9.25? or will I have a to run set of mismatched rims to have a 60 in back?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

TEDD 08-03-2013 09:59 PM

If you're going through the hassle to upgrade to a 1ton axle, I personally would try to run 8 lug rims(just my opinion). That being said, you could buy a set of wheel adapters to change the bolt pattern from 8x6.5 to 5x5.5 but they're pretty pricey and weaker than an 8 lug set up. What kind of wheeling are you planning on doing, are you locked in th rear, and what size tires are you running? The reason I ask is before I did my 1 ton swap I had a locked 9.25 with 38 boggers in the rear and beat on it pretty hard. For it being a c-clip axle it held up to the abuse I threw at it(I was a more cautious driver then). The dana 44 front was a different story. I broke u- joints, axle shafts, and bent the inner c's on it. So to sum it up I personally think your more likely to break your front axle than the rear(just my experience and opinion on the matter). Good luck on your axle swap, if I could help in any way let me know.

Danz51 08-03-2013 10:54 PM

I'm looking at a lot of mud and trail driving out in Virginia or wherever. I'm hoping to run a Detroit or if I can get the money an ARB in the 60. And I plan on putting a 60 in the front when I can find one. I guess the simplest thing for me to do is just get a pair of 60's and then I'll have them front a rear but with heavy axles like that all around I'm going to need MORE POWER!!! Oh, how these projects balloon.

Swaggerville Ram 08-04-2013 12:24 AM

D60 rear is barely an upgrade. Ring gears are thin and weak, pinions are small and also weak. 9" ford is good, and out of a truck has the same bolt pattern, 80's trucks are all 31 spline. If doing serious wheeling especially on a full sized rig, 8 lug stuff all around, with a d70 or larger out back.

TRCM 08-04-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danz51 (Post 1167030)
I'm looking at a lot of mud and trail driving out in Virginia or wherever. I'm hoping to run a Detroit or if I can get the money an ARB in the 60. And I plan on putting a 60 in the front when I can find one. I guess the simplest thing for me to do is just get a pair of 60's and then I'll have them front a rear but with heavy axles like that all around I'm going to need MORE POWER!!! Oh, how these projects balloon.

The 9 1/4 lasted me just fine for over 20 yrs of the type wheeling you mention, in VA & surrounding states. See my avatar for the truck. I put a locker in it, and gears. No other problems, other than cracking an axle tube one night while messing around with a corvette on fresh asphalt.

A D60 will allow more options, but unless you go with a semi floating version, you will have no choice but 8 lug axles.

BTW, I have a D60 spool and 3 axleshafts here, brand new but sitting on the shelf in the box for 10+ yrs, if you are interested. They are 35 spline, so you may need to work your spindles for them to fit.

battlerattle 08-04-2013 08:41 AM

Just find a 2500 in a wrecking yard and take both front and rear axles. On a 95 it should be a bolt in swap!

TRCM 08-04-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battlerattle (Post 1167189)
Just find a 2500 in a wrecking yard and take both front and rear axles. On a 95 it should be a bolt in swap!

Then he'd possibly end up with a Dana 70 rear...not as many options for upgrades as the dana 60

Danz51 08-04-2013 12:10 PM

That sounds like a plan. I'm looking to build this truck up and then abuse it, lovingly....if that makes any sense. Anybody know a good disk brake conversion kit for a Dana 60 rear?

Wh1t3nukle 08-05-2013 03:02 AM

9.25 is actually considered stronger than the 60. It's only downfall is being a semi-float, which kills it's aftermarket support. Ergo making the 60 a clear choice.

Going to 3/4-1 ton axles means 3" springs. Some 3/4" LDs still had 2.5" leaf springs. 3" leaf springs means 2 choices to mitigate. Change out the leaf springs on a 1/2 ton to 3", which includes the front and rear spring hangers too. Going this way allows you to not touch the spring perches on the axle tubes.

If staying 2.5" 1/2 ton leaf springs, then cut off the perches and weld on new ones. Added plus to this is setting your pinion angle, however, you should be upgrading driveshaft to slip yoke on the shaft. This make pinion angle an unnecessary thing to deal with.

TRCM 08-05-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle (Post 1167998)
9.25 is actually considered stronger than the 60. It's only downfall is being a semi-float, which kills it's aftermarket support. Ergo making the 60 a clear choice.

Going to 3/4-1 ton axles means 3" springs. Some 3/4" LDs still had 2.5" leaf springs. 3" leaf springs means 2 choices to mitigate. Change out the leaf springs on a 1/2 ton to 3", which includes the front and rear spring hangers too. Going this way allows you to not touch the spring perches on the axle tubes.

If staying 2.5" 1/2 ton leaf springs, then cut off the perches and weld on new ones. Added plus to this is setting your pinion angle, however, you should be upgrading driveshaft to slip yoke on the shaft. This make pinion angle an unnecessary thing to deal with.

Pinion angle is ALWAYS necessary to deal with when replacing perches.....slip jointed driveshaft or not, pinon angle needs to be correct. it shoudl also be checked when swapping axles, as not all pinion angles are the same from 1 make to the other.

If you don't believe me, take a slip-jointed driveshaft truck and turn the leaf springs around so the wedges are in backwards. Let's see how far you can drive it before you kill the u-joint.

Also, the 2.5" to 3" spring thing is not a big deal, and not even an issue in most cases. Just have to check and see what ya got.