DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   Leveling 03 QC 4x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=149336)

wchnu 08-04-2013 05:30 AM

Leveling 03 QC 4x4

New to all this. What does leveling do. Just cosmetic or functional?

gonefishin776 08-04-2013 01:03 PM

it raises the front end of the truck to be level with the rear so you don't have "rake".

with your '03 you have torsion bars and can actually
crank those up some. safely up to 2-2.5" but no more than that. so you have a "free" level of sorts. it gives you clearance to run larger/wider tires.

wchnu 08-05-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1167402)
it raises the front end of the truck to be level with the rear so you don't have "rake".

with your '03 you have torsion bars and can actually
crank those up some. safely up to 2-2.5" but no more than that. so you have a "free" level of sorts. it gives you clearance to run larger/wider tires.

I like free. :). Do you think 2 is enough. And how hard is that to do?

gonefishin776 08-06-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchnu (Post 1167968)
I like free. :). Do you think 2 is enough. And how hard is that to do?

super easy. 2 would be good to start with. Youtube it. I quickly found many videos on how to do it.

starquestbd22 08-06-2013 03:20 PM

Just personal opinion here but I would start with 1" and slowly work up from there. Yes, you will want to measure the front and back before you start and then measure the front after each adjustment but you need to depend on your eyes more than your tape measure. A truck that measures dead level front to back will almost inevitably look nose-high.

It is very easy and there are some good vids on Youtube as well as threads about it here on this forum. Couple of tips:

* I would start out with 4-5 complete turns. Best I remember it raises about 1/4" per full turn.
* Pay attention and make sure you turn both bolts the same number of turns.
* Bounce the front end or drive around the block after each adjustment to settle the front end to it's true height.
* Once you get it where you want it, I would get an alignment within a couple of days. This is a must or you will ruin your front tires. This is the only part of the level that costs anything!

gonefishin776 08-06-2013 03:37 PM

one of the videos says to make a mark on one of the flat sides of the nut, and a mark on something stationary next to it. so you know exactly how many times you made a full revolution of tightening the nut.

starquestbd22 08-06-2013 03:44 PM

Yeah, I've heard or read that too. I personally didn't. I just paid very close attention to the one I was working on and went slow.

A lot of the instructions I have seen tell you to raise the front tires off the ground before you start adjusting too. This may help lessen the tension on the bolts but it's not really necessary. I used a long ratchet (probably a foot and a half) and didn't have any issue turning them. Just make sure you work the front suspension after each adjustment. If you bounce it by hand during your adjustments, make sure you take it for a mile or two drive and recheck before you decide you are done.

wchnu 08-06-2013 09:09 PM

Thanks a million guys. Love this place. !!

RetiredJeeper 08-29-2013 06:34 PM

I cranked mine about 2.5". Trucks almost perfectly level, I work in a shop so did it with an impact lol didnt watch the turns. Just had someone turn um while I measured. When I did it the front was about an 1/8" off from the back and dead even from left to right...it does make the ride a TAD bit stiffer and I've had it done about a year now.

RetiredJeeper 08-29-2013 06:35 PM

And diff get an alignment done. It'll throw the camber off like crazy lol